Thursday, September 26, 2019

Miniature Firebug & Audience Please


We had entertaining video calls with both the BRS and FBR last evening. The BRS definitely acquires additional attitude with each passing day. Yesterday she demonstrated the ability to scale the front of the stove in several vain attempts to immolate her hand. She understands something is “hot” when she is warned but seems more fascinated than fearful. My Favorite Son and the ABFA took turns scaling her back when she tried to reach the lit burners in the back – by necessity in the back. The FBR was outwardly serene as she deigned to allow us to join her while she finished off dinner. My daughter related a story about the FBR who, after watching a video of a rhythmic gymnast, decided she was all in. She grabbed some of Wingman’s kickboxing hand wraps to substitute for the ribbon she’d seen with the gymnast. She then gave a credible performance although she stopped whenever my daughter tried to join in the dancing. Finally she decided since the video was from the Olympics and included an audience she needed one as well. Soon her entire array of stuffed animals was positioned on the couch to view her performance. I vainly tried to get a copy of the hilarious video but, since I am Instagram averse, I failed. In my search I ran across what may be my favorite picture of the FBR and I together. It captures our relationship so well. We tend to bring the silliness out in each other.
FBR and I
Lunchtime Progress
Our house is now solar equipped although we’re not completely hooked up yet. We still have to get an electrical inspection and then the power company has to install some sort of device. I was totally impressed with the installation crew. They showed up right at 7am and worked non-stop throughout the day. I stopped by for lunch and they were more than halfway done. When I came home from work shortly before 5pm they were done and gone. I’ve been impressed with this company from the get go. Now we’ll see if it all works out as I transition into an energy producer.
Installation Complete

Back at the cinema last night to see Ad Astra. This is a very interesting take on science fiction. Brad Pitt, who towers in this, plays an astronaut in the near future whose father may or may not be sending deadly waves of energy from across the solar system after being considered dead for many years. Pitt is charged with journeying to Mars to make radio contact with him. Along the way he runs across pirates on the moon and Norwegian space baboons. This sounds like an action packed sci fi frolic but it was anything but that. It was an intensely personal and uniformly bleak journey for Pitts character to rediscover his humanity. It’s easy to forget just how good an actor Pitt can be until you see him in something like this. He has to be that good because the movie is so personal despite the breathtaking scenery he journeys through. Too many sci fi films focus on the scenery and forget about the story. This was so good and features the first ever climatic scenes in the rings of the planet Neptune (didn’t even know they had em). This movie is completely in Pitt’s hands and he delivers. Some viewers may be put off by the austere pace and settings but the movie inexorably hits all the right marks on Pitt’s journey.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment