Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Reflections on Eight


I just realized I am approaching the completion of my eighth year writing on Frail Deeds. I’m not quite sure how that happened but that’s what life does to you. You stumble onto things and discover they’re important to you. I’m sure there are people out there who think “who does this self-important gas bag think he is?” but that’s the nature of some people. People I dismiss because life is too short to encumber yourself with efforts to drag you down. Life is tough enough without adding to the stress yourself. Those people, from my observation, quail when the light of truth is shown in their dark little worlds. Life is too much fun to take them seriously.
I’ve written over 2,470 posts on Frail Deeds which has evolved since I first started, as anything worthwhile does. It’s become a love letter to my grandchildren and a chronicle of their youngest years. One of the very best gifts I have ever received came a few years ago from my daughter. She had the first year of Frail Deeds printed in a book. I have five copies that I will in turn gift to each grandchild with a personal message to each. We’re stuck at two in that department but hope springs eternal more will join the august company of the FBR and the BRS.
It has connected me to people around this rapidly shrinking world and I often wonder what these far flung people think of my nonsensical ramblings. One of the most redeeming aspects of this blog has been the requirement occasionally to mine the memory bank. As I head into my later years I cherish the memories I’m blessed with and that I can pass them on for whatever relevance the future holds for them. I’ve often thought about quitting the writing which at times becomes challenged with work, family, and life in general but each time I realize I would miss it too much. I do feel I’m connecting with people and I’ve come to realize that’s a fundamental need for happiness; to reach out and know you’re never truly alone. Despite the hate filled rhetoric from both sides of the political spectrum I still believe in basic human decency that the aforementioned hate mongers will never still. So I guess the bottom line is - you’re stuck with me, at least for a while, as I look forward to what is probably my last year of active employment as the beacon of retired life beckons.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment