Friday, August 30, 2019

Generational Shift

My Wife and Her Mother with the BRS

We’re back to just a one generational house with this morning’s departure of my mother in law following her two month stay with us. That means my Favorite Panamanian can revert to her Americanized spouse standards without worry of traditional maternal scrutiny. I’m going to miss having “mami” around the house because she provides an excellent foil to poke fun at my wife. I’m feeling a little foggy this morning following the early morning wakeup and drive to and from Boston. This was exacerbated by the need for a late night search of the house for my wife’s cell phone because we all know it’s impossible to go sleep not knowing where the beast is! Thank God for GPS locater because I was able to zoom in and walk around the post-midnight house to eventually track the little bugger down.
Son and BRS

His Other Girl - The Wise and Mighty ABFA

Discussing Who Should Drive up in Maine
My wife did a commendable job with her mother’s send off. She hosted a lunch of the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia on Wednesday to bid her mom a farewell and last night we were back out in central Worcester for a goodbye alfresco dinner accompanied by the Neighborhood Mafiosos. I feel good because my mother in law truly enjoyed her stay with us (at least that’s what she said). Her most memorable and cherished times were spent with my two kids and their daughters. I’m glad she had the opportunity to bond with both the FBR and the BRS.
Attitude!

Happy Beach Time At Least for the Parents

Waitress!!!
Speaking of those worthies, the BRS returned home yesterday after a short vacation just north of her home in Maine. She and the ABFA’s parents looked to have had a spectacular time up in Ogunquit where I have my own slice of personal history embedded, since that’s where I acquired my first fiancé. They called in while we were sitting down to dinner last night and it was heartening to see how much the BRS brightened up when she saw us. I’m so glad she’s getting quality time with both sets of grandparents.
Playing Beach Ball with Daddy

Hanging with her other Grandma

Wait a Minute!
Where are my Attendants?!

Okay this Will Work as my Throne

Checking out the Waves with Other Grandpa
The FBR has been uncustomarily communicative over the past couple evenings. She regaled us with stories of her days back in conventional daycare and teaming up with old friends. Her normal, school like daycare was closed for the week. She noticed I had my arm around my Favorite Panamanian and suddenly blurted out, “Abra-ca-dab-ra – Release Abuela!”.  This, of course, evolved into a game where I would grab my wife (never an unhappy occurrence) and the FBR would order her release through magical incantation. We’d only done this a dozen or so times before I sensed the devilish side of the FBR assert itself, seeming to enjoy her abuela engulfed in my arms.
FBR Threenager Lessons with my Daughter and Friends

Excessive Barrett Deployment
She suddenly reported that she’d lost her magic and could not order the freedom of her abuela. When I asked what happened to her magic she reported it had been lost down the “potty”. Everybody on both sides of that video call broke down in laughter which seemed to be exactly what the FBR was looking for. I can certainly understand why their great-grandmother is going to miss these two imps so much.
Continued Ice Cream Domination



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment