Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Hobbesian Week

Miss Having These Two Around

We’re not talking Leviathan here but it’s been a fairly busy week which is a good as it dulls the impact of the FBRless house. My wife is usually up to the challenge of filling decibels but even she is daunted by the prospect of the vacuum left by my oldest granddaughter’s week long residence with us. The house seems preternaturally quiet. Employment has stepped in to help out filed with the political maneuvers before the union vote on the contract I just settled as well as pension committee meetings and a board meeting where I have to convince them to support the contract – so just another week in paradise.
Favorite Son Sent Antother Batch of BRS Photos!



I’ve been having second thoughts about retiring this year. I may push it back until mid-next year. I’m not sure I’m ready to head out to pasture yet and when I do I want to have a plan on what I’m going to do to fill my time. If either of the granddaughters were closer that would not be an issue. While the beach at Las Lajas beckons I’m not convinced that four months straight there is called for yet. I want to “enjoy” my last white winter and also the fruits of contract we just reached which should bring at least a modicum of peace at work. I also have an epic 48 state road trip on my agenda which I’ll have to save up enough to execute in the proper style. Here’s a warning to all my far flung friends who live in the lower 48 – I may be dropping in on you next year (escape/excuse planning should commence immediately). Finally, and probably most importantly, my retirement party would have to be completely indoors if it happened in December.
Wife Took Some Pictures of Our Walk to the Bread Stand



I’ve been privileged to share a couple long video calls with the BRS over the past couple evenings which were as delightful as expected. She is a pure dynamo now and defiantly showing some real attitude. Her vocabulary is increasing as she now says “momma, wow, and bye” although, much to my son’s consternation, no “dada” yet. My wife claims the BRS said “abuela” during a recent visit but that is unconfirmed and followed what I was sure was several thousand prompts from my Favorite Panamanian. We also caught up with the FBR last night who was absolutely dominating a couple of the empanadas her abuela and bisabuela created for her.
Date night meant movie time and we indulged in some serious escapism with Hobbs and Shaw from that noted thespian proving ground – The Fast and the Furious series. This is everything you would expect from a summer action flick featuring two of today’s biggest purveyors of same. The Rock and Statham fit perfectly into their rivalry and spend most of the movie (maybe a tad too much) bad mouthing each other while simultaneously carrying out the fantastical stunts required of them. A welcome and needed injection of femininity is supplied by Vanessa Kirby, playing Statham’s sister certainly helped immensely. She is very good and more than hangs with the big boys during the action. Idris Elba is incapable of ineptitude and he is perfect as a cyborg like villain testing the boys. The plot jumps all over the place with holes you could drive the Rock through but with this kind of movie you forgive a lot. I mean a whole lot. Those of you who had a need to see the Rock running around in a skirt wielding a Polynesian war club will get that as well. There are some very funny cameos from Ryan Reynold and Kevin Hart thrown in as well. All in all, a lot of fun and some great action since you suspended your disbelief (absolute requirement for a F&F movie) at the door.








---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment