Monday, August 12, 2019

Jersey Blues

I Told Her They Wouldn't Fit
She Had to Prove me Wrong

I knew it was going to happen but that doesn’t make the separation from the FBR any easier than I expected. We waded through summer traffic both going to and returning from New Jersey as we reverted the FBR to her rightful situation – that, of course, being with her parents. They were out on a romantic getaway to mark their tenth wedding anniversary (how is that even possible!!) and were scheduled to come home on Sunday. We drove down on Saturday so we wouldn’t spend an entire day on the road. The trip down was delayed a couple of times. The first was when the FBR announced she needed to go to the potty and I pulled into the next McDonald’s since it was near lunch time. I was filling up her drink at the machine when I heard a delighted squawk at my side and my left arm being pulled desperately in another direction by a thoroughly excited and jumping three year old. The FBR had spotted the attached playground. This added twenty minutes to the trip as she found several places in the superstructure of the playground that I could not gain access to and she could hide out. She eventually relented and we got back on the road. The other delays were minor such as pulling over to insure the FBR’s IPad was properly working and then a look left and go right at a New Jersey rest area. One of those, “I don’t have to go” declarations until I was ready to pull back onto the highway and a 360 degree change in need.
Diner Silliness
We pulled up to the empty house and were greeted by Pee Wee the cat who seemed less than thrilled to see the return of the FBR. This might have been due to the enthusiastic hugs she was delivering. We ate dinner at the FBR’s favorite diner, complete with a Mickey Mouse themed pancake. I’m convinced the FBR has figured out a way to suck energy out of my body because it was only about four hours of driving but I was exhausted by the end of the day. We awoke the next morning to a fully recharged FBR. We walked down the street to the local bakery where the FBR ran into one of her best buddies. He was excited to see the return of the FBR and demonstrated his friendship by spilling the FBR’s water all over her cinnamon roll. That was only a minor blip in an otherwise delightful morning with the very friendly bakery crowds, including a couple dogs and two disturbingly attractive police officers.
Getting my Feet Tattooed
One of the things I noticed during this week’s stay with us was the FBR seeming to miss her parents more than usual. Of course this may have been a reaction to a less lofty position in her firmament for her grandparents. She would get teary eyed after each Facetime call with them and repeatedly said how much she missed them (usually when she was being corrected on something). Whatever the reason I was happy to see it because I know how simply awesome her parents are and I’m glad she realizes it as well.
The Return!
After breakfast my Favorite Panamanian and her mother serial watched episodes of Fixer Upper while the FBR and I engaged in a semi-spirited game of hide and seek while also getting my feet tattooed. The energy vampire was again fully engaged. When did it become so difficult to crawl under tables? We were out on the back deck blowing bubbles shortly after lunch when the anniversaried couple returned home. My wife gave us the heads up and the FBR was literally jumping up and down with joy when she saw her parents. We were already packed up to leave as I hoped to beat the summer Sunday afternoon crowds on the road for the trip back. We had an all too short a time to spend with my daughter and Wingman. The FBR conspicuously tried to distract from a conversation between us where we were highlighting some of her less than stellar moments over the past week. Those are already forgotten though as both my wife and I are lamenting how quiet the house is. My wife even got misty eyed this morning when there was no cry of “Abuela – I’m awake” from the next bedroom.
She Was Back out Socializing Sunday Afternoon
We didn’t miss all of the traffic but it only took 30 minutes to crawl the six miles to the Tappan Zee. We were in a bit of a funk as we pulled into the house Sunday afternoon but this was assuaged in large degree when we received a call from my Favorite Son. The BRS was charging around the house in full voice. What is it about granddaughters that immediately lift spirits just by a devilish smile and emphatic grunts?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment