Monday, April 24, 2023

Well, That’s Over

I’m not speaking about my weekend with my son and the BSR/BR3. I never want those kinds of weekends to end. However, we had today’s colonoscopy awaiting me and I am definitely happy that thing is in the rear-view mirror (if you will excuse the expression) now. Let’s focus on the positive and that would definitely be the granddaughter time. We arrived in New Hampshire on Friday afternoon in time to accompany my son to pick up the granddaughters at Day Care. Granddaughter hugs ensued. We returned home where my Favorite Panamanian had organized a belated Easter egg hunt in the front yard followed by the obligatory abuela gifts. She was a little disappointed that the girls blew right by the new clothes to focus on the chocolate bunnies but they are true ABFA daughters.

Happy Time
We had a great time reconnecting with these two sprites over pizza before their bedtime. After that my son indoctrinated me into the fundamental joy that is his recently completed home theater. I was truly impressed and more than a little jealous. It was truly like sitting in a personal movie theater. Since my Favorite Panamanian went upstairs to pray, we were free to watch Underworld with Kate Beckinsale in all her spandexed glory. We were back there Saturday night for Star Trek Beyond. To say I was in cinematic heaven for these two nights would be an understatement. My son “done good”. I’m guessing he bred true from his cinephile dad.

Let the Hugs Commence

The Hunt is On



Abuela Presents, Chocolate!!!

Abuela with BRS and BR3 on their Playground
Earlier on Saturday, after the de rigueur hojaldra breakfast from their abuela, and way too much time watching Blippi, we accompanied the ladies to their gymnastics class. We watched from above as they both made their way through their lessons. My son accompanied BR3 and, against her normal free agent personality, she actually stayed engaged and did really well. Even though it was a cool, kind of raw day my Favorite Panamanian decreed an ice cream outing was on the program for the afternoon. The granddaughters were in complete agreement with this declaration.

Hojaldras!

BR3 on the Balance Beam

BRS Spinning
We had just scored the ice cream when BR3 declared she needed to go to the potty. This despite confirming to her dad just before we left that there was no need. We bundled back into the car leaving some ice cream on the car’s ceiling (Thank God that was my wife and not me). Upon returning home, BR3’s potty alert turned out to be a false alarm, go figure, but it was better eating the treats in a heated environment. Both granddaughters seem to be on the verge of a growth spurt since they both ate full dinners a couple hours later.

Awaiting Ice Cream

With Abuela

Back Home to Eat it though

BR3 in Charge of Silly Faces

Working on Unpowered Laptop
Meanwhile in New Jersey the FBR was following through with her latest obsession, baseball. I don't know where she got that from, but with Wingman and I has blood relations it was probably a forgone conclusion. Wingman took her and a friend to a minor league game  after the FBR's first hit in T-ball. Sunday dawned in New Hampshire with my realization I had to follow the pre-op procedures which meant beef broth for both breakfast and lunch. We were lucky enough to spend a few moments with the ABFA when she returned from her more than earned ladies weekend at a spa. My Favorite Panamanian and I drove home through some tough rain where I could continue the prep which included the 4-6pm downing of a week’s worth of laxatives with the ensuing fun and games that entailed.

Wingman and FBR at the Game

Ready for Foul Ball

Obligatory Mascot Interaction

It was so cold in the house I turned the heat back on. Of course, the furnace didn’t turn on. When I went down to find out why to find a red screen on the device saying I had to reset it. It’s one of those new, highly efficient types. I had to make four or five trips up and down the stairs, which were not occurring at the best times since I had to schedule them between dashes to the, well, you know where. I eventually turned the thermostats off and restarted them which worked. If nothing else the “kids” have taught me when the computer isn’t working, re-start it. I spent the rest of the day in our old master bed room with the handy rest room facilities watching in sequence, the Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics. All of whom won! That and the movies below made the time pass quickly.

This prep went a lot smoother than earlier versions. I didn’t have anything other than jello and Gatorade after leaving my son’s house around noontime but I didn’t feel as drained or headachy as I had in prior procedures. I was once again impressed with the efficiency of the UMASS Memorial endoscopy crew. The anesthesiologist playfully informed me I would be receiving the same sedation that Michael Jackson used. I wish she hadn’t said that. I was out like a light for the entire process where I achieved much better results than prior iterations. The Lorna Doone cookies and soda the nurse provided afterwards were sublime. So hungry. And that’s over for at least five years!

Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, both definite keepers, Solider, underrated sci fi epic with Kurt Russel and Stripes, filmed at same base I took basic training just a year afterwards, lots of nostalgia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment