Friday, April 21, 2023

Catch Up

I hurriedly posted yesterday after my Deckzilla adventures and forgot to mention I saw two movies at the theater on Tuesday. This was a planned excursion allowing my Favorite Panamanian over five hours of unfettered shopping time at the Blackstone Shoppes while I watched the movies. She is one of the only people I’ve ever met who could happily spend that much time shopping. The only tradeoff was to see movies she wouldn’t, in other words, horror movies. I was a little nervous since, as I’ve gotten older, I internalize the horror a little too much, scare myself more than I should. I know, weird.

I discovered that, despite a lifelong investigation to prove otherwise, you can eat too much popcorn. I think it was the newly advertised jumbo size, that or the bowl of ice cream I scored between movies. Either one did me in. Apparently, a senior citizen body will protest what used to be a staple part of my diet if taken to extremes. I was at least smart enough not to mention this to my shopping satiated spouse when she picked me up. She kept asking if I felt alright and I said I was in recovery mode from being scared for four hours. Note to self – ice cream and popcorn no longer form a viable food pyramid. But today is the First Friday of the Week, to be enjoyed and celebrated, doubly so, because the celebration will take place in New Hampshire with 2/3s of my granddaughter population present. Hoo Ahhh!!

The Pope’s Exorcist had all the trappings that made the original exorcist movie so scary, deep voices speaking in tongues, spinning heads, and bodily effluents. However this time out it wasn’t nearly as scary. It could be the use of CGI which somehow limits the impact or it could be the exorcist was Maximus Decimus Meridius, General of the Northern Armies. Somehow Russel Crowe’s physicality, which is always preternaturally present in any role, makes it seem like the demon is bound to lose from the start. It was still entertaining to watch him play the quirky priest fighting both the Spanish Inquisition inspired demon and Vatican bureaucrats. Good but not great movie.

Renfield is a lot of campy fun. Nicholas Cage as Dracula, c’mon, who wouldn’t pay to see that. Cage doesn’t disappoint as evil incarnate in a co-dependent relationship with his long time enabler. Nicholas Hoult is back in his Warm Bodies lovable creep mode as the title character trying to break his centuries long devotion to Dracula. He teams up with the always watchable Awkwafina for a show down in New Orleans. There are some very funny moments involving vampire lore and this very dark comedy scores mainly because of the actors who all deliver. The plot is a little uneven but, again, Cage as Dracula, a must see.

One movie fell in my A-Z watch, a definite keeper, Nobody’s Fool, one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. Paul Newman dominates as a small town loser who somehow binds an entire town together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment