Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Shady Perspective

We’re sneaking a couple of projects in under the wire as our time here in Las Lajas draws every closer to finality. We had to replace one of the huge window shades that covers the floor to ceiling living room windows. That turned out to be an expensive proposition but had to be done if we wanted to raise the blinds in the morning to fully embrace the fantastic beach views. I asked the young guy who came to install the new blind what had caused it to fail after only five years. He pointed out the deterioration and said it was due to the constant tropical solar radiation the blinds were exposed to.

Favorite Panamanian and I on Sunset Beach Walk

Said we Needed One with Ocean in Background
I thought that was unavoidable and then he suggested we install UV protection film on the windows, such as is used in car windows. I was dubious because I didn’t want to impact the aforementioned views. Of course, I also didn’t want to have to replace the window blinds every few years either. My Favorite Panamanian was all in and claimed to understand my concerns. The young guy pointed us towards a place in David that sold the film and volunteered to come and install it in his off time, for a fee.

Installation

Final Results
My Favorite Panamanian had to return to David to pick up her mom and she tested a couple of versions at the store and selected one she thought wasn’t opaque. I was still dubious. On Sunday the young guy showed up to do the install and after the first window was covered I was convinced. There was an immediate cooling within the room and by the time all the living room and balcony doors were covered, the views were, in anything, enhanced. We can now keep the blinds up much later in the day and these things block 99% of the UV rays. So cool. My Favorite Panamanian was so impressed that we’re going back into David today to buy some more film so we can get the master bedroom balcony doors covered. She has visions of leaving the blinds up to wake up to the beach views.

Sting Rays, A bout 2' Across

Beach Views


Hard to Make Out but Flock of Frigate Birds Circling the Moon

Obligatory Sunset Views






It's been an interesting week, fauna wise on the beach. I ran across a couple large sting rays dead on my morning walk. The upstairs neighbors found hundreds of small jelly fish washed ashore last evening. I think I met one of those little buggers this morning. On my last boogie board ride into shore something stung me through the bathing suit on what we used to refer to in my paratrooper days as the “4th point of contact”. It felt like a bee sting and it makes sitting down a little interesting, did I mention I have a lot of driving to do today.

Cutest Mermaid
The kids continue to send me photos keeping me apprised of the granddaughters’’ adventures. I can’t wait to see them in the coming weeks. Th BRS donned her birthday present from us and made a very fetching mermaid. The FBR and her mom had a Washington Square Park adventure in NYC and visited something called the Color Factory which, as seen in the pictures, certainly lived up to its appellation. Wingman is in Switzerland pursuing his watch fascination for a bit. This is our last Tuesday in Panama but I’m ready as I’m looking forward to seeing those granddaughters, their parents, and sharing some beers with hometown friends. Just hope this 4th point of contact wound subsides soon.  

Big City FBR

With Her Mom

Color Factory





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment