Wednesday, April 26, 2023

First Time Out

It took a bit longer or a full recovery from Monday’s endoscopic delving than usual. My appetite returned in an all too voracious state. The sedative they used had me seriously uncoordinated for the better part of Monday and early Tuesday. I’ll never be the most graceful of individuals but it was weird to have the arms and legs respond slowly to my intentions. After a few missed stair steps, I had to adjust my activity level which was new. I think it falls into the “getting old sucks” category. That meant additional time supine on the Man Cave, see movie log below.

I felt well enough, or at least back to my minimal coordination level, on Tuesday afternoon that I mowed the lawn for the first time in 2023. Now that I think about it, pushing a whirling sharp blade around the lawn probably wasn’t the best choice for a first activity out of the chute after the coordination issues. Returning to such mundane task has a way of making me feel more like I’m really back home. Of course, the complete lack of a tropical beach out my front window does that in a lot more definitive manner. There is a certain welcome nostalgia embedded in the mundanity. Both my Favorite Panamanian and I have medical appointments stacked up over the next month, scheduled around our time in Panama. See comment above about aging.

We finally saw Creed 3, on Tuesday. This continues to be a worthy continuation on the Rocky story, even without Rocky. Michael B. Jordan has made this story his own though and continues to be a remarkable screen presence. That talent extends behind the camera as well as he also directed this outing. Sadly, (if the rumors of his misbehavior are true), Jonathan Majors also continues his streak of memorable performances. He plays a childhood (stress on the hood) friend of Creed who emerges from a lengthy prison sentence to reconnect with the now retired Creed. He feels Creed stole his life as a promising, pre-prison boxer and you know they’ll end up in the ring together. That’s sets up yet another memorable fight scene that’s worth the price of admission in and of itself. Really good movie.

Four movies fell in my A-Z watch, all definite keepers, Plane (new addition), Gerard Butler being Gerard Butler; Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (new addition), Nicholas Cage poking serious fun at himself and Hollywood, so funny; Violent Night (new addition), Santa as you never seen him before, darkly funny; and Wild Card, Statham carving up Vegas hoods, my Favorite Panamanian’s cinematic boyfriend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment