Thursday, December 1, 2022

Autobiographical Cinema and That Tree Again

As you can see form the attached photo my Favorite Panamanian has performed her usual magic with the Christmas tree. After I draped the light sets on, she assumed control and I was left to my forte, carrying storage cases up and down from the basement. The results speak for themselves. She certainly has the touch. She was even polite when informing me that my assistance was no longer required.

BRS Writing an Eternal Truth
The BRS made a statement in her pre-school class today with what she wrote on the pad. She said her cousins make her happy. I’ve always ben a proponent of the fact that “there is something special about cousins” and it warmed my heart to see my granddaughter realizing this intrinsic facet of life. I just wish they didn’t have to start enjoying each other’s company in the bedroom next to ours at 5am, but again, I digress.

The Tree
Since my Favorite Panamanian launched on some Christmas shopping with the neighborhood Mafioso I was left to own devices (always a dangerous proposition). That led me inevitably to the movie theater (I know – shocking) where I saw the Fablemans. This is definitely Steven Spielberg’s most autobiographical film ever. I’m guessing he waited for a number of years to pass before doing a deep dive into his childhood. It was fascinating to watch, especially after seeing a special on his life last week. He tells the story with grace and humor but still acknowledging the hard edges. His high school years were especially poignant with the racism he faced as well as his parents’ breakup. Paul Dano and Michelle Williams soar as the diametrically opposed parents, Williams especially. She plays the slightly psychotic mother with the subtle edge she is so good at. Loved this exploration of one of the true genius. The scene with John Ford was worth the price of admission alone. A long movie that flew by.

Three movies fell in my A-Z effort, all keepers, Cloverfield (maybe the best home video movie ever made, startling and realistic destruction of NYC), 10 Cloverfield Lane (so taut, Winstead shines and John Goodman is an American treasure), and Cowboys and Indians (what!!!! 007 and Han Solo battling inconvenient aliens in the old west)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment