Monday, December 12, 2022

Weekend Adventures

For the past few years, I’ve taken to Frail Deeds around this time to comment on how many Christmas parties I end up attending. While not exactly complaining, there were a lot. This year, not so much. I miss them. We didn’t host our own party this year and since I am no longer gainfully employed, those all went away as well. Luckily the local Latina Mafia came to the rescue over the weekend and had us over to their house for a Christmas party. The only one we’re going to/been invited to, this year. As my Favorite Panamanian and I refuse to do anything simple we also scheduled a trip up to NH to see my Favorite Son and his family and return last night at the height to the first winter storm of the season.

Chaos Incarnate
The party was a lot of fun. It took place at a house near where we used to live in Charlton and where we usually spend the 4th of July. It was surreal being there in the winter and seeing no leaves on the abundant trees and pool, which usually serves as the focal point for summer parties, all closed down. The key element though, the people, were there as well as a veritable treasure trove of Christmas cookies (I did say fun, right?). Since I was on my best behavior, having to drive to NH later, I only had one beer. I think that shocked my host who usually takes it as a point of honor to keep me well lubricated.

The Party Hosts at Far End of Table

Wife with a Full Plate
It was one of those raw winter days where you can almost smell the approaching snow which made the gathering of friends in a warm house surrounded by the aforementioned holiday confections all the more pleasant. We missed out of seeing our Czech friends who were supposed to be there but admitted hey were operating on a “Panamanian timetable” which meant they were so late arriving that we had already left. In a major surprise to certain people married to my Favorite Panamanian, we actually left at the planned time, despite the fifteen minutes (her not me, needless to say) required to say goodbye to literally everyone.

BRS Prepping of Holiday Baking

BR3 Immersed in the Ball Tent
The drive north to NH went well. We wanted to visit because we hadn’t seen BR3 in more than a month since she decided to blow off Thanksgiving by getting sick. The entire family realizes her potency when it comes to passing on afflictions so she stayed home and we missed her. I say the ride was interesting because of the gasoline situation. The GPS said we had 87 miles to go and the car said I had enough fuel to drive 120 miles so I thought I was good. I proudly informed my Favorite Panamanian of the same during her predictable concerns when the gas gauge reads below three quarters full.

One of the Many BRS Costume Changes

ABFA and her Ladies
My theory started to evaporate along with my margin of error as we made our way north. I will admit some speed limits may have been exceeded (alright they were damn well shattered). At any rate I saw the two estimates of miles of travel remaining and gas to drive them grow inexorably closer as we approach the NH border. When they were within ten miles of each other my concern was reflected in the rather sedate (and gas efficient) speed I was now traveling. My wife had the good grace not gloat (too much). They finally converged as we pulled off the highway. I was left wondering if we would have run out of gas before getting to our destination. I have no problem not knowing the answer to that.

BRS and Abuela on House Duty

BR3's Turn
We were very excited to pull into the driveway and be greeted by the BRS and BR3. I swear you could tell the difference in size from the last time we saw BR3 in person. Her ability to carry on an actual conversation had also blossomed. She is even more formidable than before. Scary thought. Our schedules had worked out well since the ladies were busy all morning with ballet and other assorted activities. The BRS immediately wanted to launch into a game of “Monster”. I’ll leave it to your imagination who was cast in the title role.

BR3 Correcting Abuela's Placement of Candy
We tried to catch up with the ABFA and my son as the ladies swirled around as only dedicated agents of chaos (all my granddaughters qualify) can. I’m so pleased that walking into either my son’s or daughter’s houses feel like a little bit of home. Another of life’s blessings that would easy to overlook. Riggins, the family dog, has perfected the “I’m a so long-suffering victim” look and had his best pathetic visage prepared for us. It has to be tough going from being the number one attraction (prior to the girls’ arrivals) to a distant third. In an interesting development, the BRS is now treating Riggins with very grown up petting sessions which will endear her to him even more.

Favorite Son with his Ladies
We suffered through some nonstop Blippi watching (BR3 requirement) before the Monster game really took off. I’m a little embarrassed to admit those two had me winded in very short order. It’s what granddaughters do.  The girls let us sleep in until almost seven am on Sunday when my Favorite Panamanian was roused to create her signature hojaldras for two of her biggest fans. My son and I took a quick trip to the local Best Buy to procure an item for a Panamanian uncle. I always feel better buying technology with one of my kids along to advise, for the all too obvious reasons. The ABFA had a planned girls’ day out with some of her friends so the granddaughters had us outnumbered two of them to only three adults for the rest of Sunday.

Rare Quiet Time for These Two
My Favorite Panamanian took one for the team when football time rolled around as she engaged the granddaughters in Gingerbread House construction and decorating. Almost as much candy went onto the house as into their mouths. BR3 claimed ahead of time she wanted to watch football with us to “see what what’s going to happen”. I guess she lost that craving somewhere along the way. I truly enjoyed watching the Red Zone with my son as we followed the fortunes of his fantasy team up and down. We were also called upon to make referee calls of our own as two very energetic young ladies vied for attention. A great afternoon.

The Way Our Son Found Us
Problematically, afternoons always lead into evenings which meant out short visit was coming to an end as we were planning on leaving as soon as the granddaughters hit the rack. It was fun watching the practiced routines of my son preparing these two high energy clients for bedtime. The ladies have taken a page out their aunt’s (my daughter’s) playbook by becoming very quiet and non-intrusive when they realize the appointed hour is approaching. As my son was putting BR3 to bed, the BRS climbed into my lap and held hands with my wife. When my son came down a few minutes later, he found the BRS sound asleep in that position with neither grandparent wanting to move and break the magic.

Deckzilla This Morning, Had to Shovel Lower Part 
Since I have to move Contents of Garage There Later this Week
We’d been monitoring the weather all day long as that storm was predicted to roll in Sunday night. Being a weather person in New England has to be tough so we always take their predictions with a grain of the white stuff. Speaking of white stuff, Worcester was supposed to only get a coating from this storm. We headed into the night and soon found ourselves encapsulated in fairly vigorous snow storm where there wasn’t supposed to be one. Our timing turned out to be good as the earlier part of the storm had resulted in a bunch of accidents which had been cleared by the time we hit the interstates which were in good shape. It was still an intense drive home, especially when we got to Worcester and found that predicted coat was pretty thick. We ended up with over three inches which meant the drive up our hill was an adventure. Thank God for 4-wheel drive.

FBR and Wingman at the Diner
Meanwhile, in New Jersey, the FBR had her own adventures. She was signed up for both a flu and Covid booster shot on Saturday. I’m sure, based on her reaction to that news, that she wasn’t involved in the decision matrix leading to that event. She was smart enough though to parlay her acquiescence into a trip to a diner boasting the best pancakes in the world. The FBR proclaimed the title was earned after downing a stack that featured pancakes with M&Ms inside. The girl knows how to negotiate.

Three movies fell in my A-Z effort, all keepers, Copshop (Great set piece action, Alexis Louder shines), Crank (Unkillable Chev Chelios debuts), and Crank 2 High Voltage (taking absurdity of first movie and ramping it up).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment