Saturday, December 31, 2022

Exhausted but Deployed

You will notice from some of the accompanying photos that my Favorite Panamanian and I are no longer in the People’s Republic of Taxxachusetts. We completed our annual dive south to our Las Lajas beach condo on Thursday. That meant a undecorating the house from Christmas, closing up the house, coordinating with the house sitter, cleaning the house (a wifely priority), getting to the airport (thank you Keene Friend), flying to Panama City, flying to David, driving to the condo. All this done with the added requirement of recovering both emotionally and physically from the rigors of Christmas. This would have been a tall order for a team of two but my wife was sidelined starting on Monday by a stomach bug that kept her in bed until our actual deployment.

With the Fam at El Fogon
That meant the cleaning fell to me, never my strongest suit. My Favorite Panamanian didn’t think anything should be shelved because of her illness (I tried) and she felt well enough to provide what she knew was needed supervision. I was given crash courses in floor maintenance and delicate material washing. It meant a couple really late nights but we left the house in its usual pristine shape. The best medicine my wife could have taken was seeing her family again. To make that happen, Keene Friend came down Wednesday night to make the early morning drive to the airport with us. Copa once again has direct flights to Panama from Boston which makes life so much easier.

First Atlas of the Winter
There were a couple of surprises, but in a good way. They have opened a new domestic flight terminal, where we catch the flight to David, in Panama City. That meant there was no sardine packed bus trip to an awaiting plane as in prior years. That’s always a lot of fun with a bunch of people getting off long flights dressed for colder weather first experiencing the joy of Panamanian heat jammed together for a bus ride. Our luggage arrived with only one minor casualty which is fine since we always need less luggage for the return home. My wife’s entire family was waiting for us at the airport and I had a real feeling of coming home (2d home, but a home nonetheless).

Back Home Again
My brother-in-law had the needed pick-up truck to handle the six suitcases (we never travel light because, well, who I travel with). After the obligatory first Atlas beer of the deployment, I treated the entire family to dinner at my favorite David eatery, El Fogon where my favorite waiter treated me like a returning hero (generous tipping will do that for you). We returned to my mother in law’s house and the day, which had started at 4am and the busy week caught up with me. I was in bed by 9pm and slept like the proverbial dead.

Our First Las Lajas Sunset of the Winter
Yesterday was another day, much like the past week, of non-stop chores. We had to lay in our supplies for the upcoming condo stay which meant a couple of very expensive grocery store runs. After that soul rending experience, we returned to home and rallied with my brother-in-law who had volunteered to once again shepherd our suitcases to the beach for us, which is good because there was no way we could have managed the suitcases and the accumulated booty from the morning’s grocery store depredations. In the early afternoon we set out for Las Lajas and after clearing the abysmal Friday traffic around David were free and clear all the way to the beach.

Back in N.J. the FBR and Her Mom Got the LOL House Together
This is where I had a real sense of returning home as we walked into the condo and saw the beach through the balcony doors. There was a lot of work to do of course, the place having laid empty for seven months. My brother-in-law and a nephew helped lug all the supplies and luggage up to the condo. Thank God the elevator was working. We set to work getting everything stored and unpacked. We took a quick break for an abbreviated First Friday call with the fam back in the suddenly balmy Northeast US. I didn’t make it down to the beach yesterday and had to catch the first of Las Lajas’ signature sunsets from the balcony but we did yeoman work getting everything set up. I got the Super Streamer functioning which was task one if I want to watch football this weekend.

"My" Beach This Morning
This morning was a return to my morning beach routine. I walked out shortly after waking up and had the entire beach to myself for my morning workout. It felt as if no time had passed since I last walked out of the surf. I think my body is trying to tell me I’m getting too old to boogie board but I will continue to ignore it. My wife’s family is coming down late today to celebrate New Years with us. I’m looking forward to that as it means a period of sustained laughter. I’m also looking forward to next week and hopefully some rest.

Saying Hi to old Friends During Morning Beach Walk
Keene Friend is one of the only people brave enough to try and buy me movies for Christmas. I say this because I have a fairly complete collection of every movie I think I’d ever want to see but, as usual, he succeeded admirably again this year. I had to watch both of the movies he gifted before we came down. The first was Zero Hour which was a complete hoot. I never realized the classic comedy movie, Airplane, was actually taken almost word for word from a much more serious 1950s film but it was. The unintentional comedy level is through the roof as Ted Stryker tries to overcome his wartime experiences and pilot a suddenly pilotless airliner through the Rockies. It isn’t a bad movie but it’s impossible to watch without harkening back to Airplane, even to the seemingly inexplicable (but enjoyable) side plot of the well-endowed pilot’s wife being roused to come to the airport. So much fun.

The second movie was a more serious flick. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp has been heralded by some as the finest British film ever made which surprised me because I had never heard of it. It’s a fascinating look at the life of a British serving officer from the Boer War through World War 2 and the impossible march of history through that time. It has a fascinating back story as it was made during the height of World War 2 and Churchill wanted it suppressed because he thought it was about him. I was reminded, once again, what a vision the young Deborah Kerr was. It’s a very long but supremely enjoyable movie as two good military men, one British and the other German, navigate and rebound through those most turbulent of years. Great movie.

Only one movie fell in my A-Z effort, a definite keeper. I will probably have to pause the A-Z effort until I return to the States as I am geographically separated from my film collection. I took pictures of the upcoming shelves and will try to continue through Netflix and the super streamer but will probably end up pausing. The last movie I saw – Dawn of the Dead. I think we can trace the resurgence of the zombie craze in movies to this film. It was the first I can remember where the zombies could run which scared the hell out of me. The next post will be my annual top ten movies of 2022.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment