Friday, March 25, 2022

York Beach South

The Cantankerous One and I continue our 1967 York Beach reunion tour displaced a half century later to Las Lajas Panama. After our respective families embarked on joint summer vacations at North Sands, York Beach, Maine all those years ago a plethora of memories were generated for the younger versions of Cantankerous and I. It’s natural to harken back to those days now that we find ourselves at another beach together. There are a lot fewer people on this new beach and the water does not take your breath away when you stick a toe in it.

Displaced York Beachers Yesterday
Using our Beer "Cookies" (Coozies)
My Favorite Panamanian abandoned us for the entire day yesterday trusting me to execute the lunch meal she prepped. She seemed really nervous about that. She had promised to take an aunt to a doctor’s appointment back in David so we were left to our own devices. Now that I think about it, that was plain reckless, but we did not burn the place down in her absence. We had a great day hanging out on the beach, reminiscing about those long ago York Beach days. The Cantankerous One is honing his boogie boarding skills in the surf and now fully appreciates the physical effort to push through the waves.

Sunset Last Evening


Cantankerous Toasting



Favorite Panamanian Returns!
We were in the pool imbibing the latest Panamanian test brews, Balboa and Cristal, when we noticed the sun setting. We moved out onto the beach to continue our contemplations. That is where my Favorite Panamanian found us upon her return and immediately started to editorialize on the amount of beer we had apparently consumed. I reminded her that it was her decision to leave us unsupervised. She relented in good humor and joined us for the last part of the celebration. Now that I think about it, both Cantankerous Friend and I are wondering why my Favorite Panamanian is being showered with sympathetic messages of support and prayers when people learned she was being saddled with the two of us. C’mon folks!! We’re not that bad! Honest.



Two Happy Guys
I was just glad she hadn’t returned with any more guava fruit. It’s a long set of large seeds encased in a hard shell. I have unfortunately acquired a skill at twisting the shell open so she can get at the seeds. The seeds are surrounded by this cotton candy like substance that she loves. I think it looks kind of disgusting but she swears by it. Thankfully they seem to be moving out of season because she returned empty handed
. I’m down on the guava because of my designated role of twisting and opening as sometimes you get a surprise when it pops open, both flora and fauna related. This qualifies as excitement.

Wife with Opened Guava

She Eats the White Stuff, Yechh!
The Cantankerous One joined me again on the beach this morning for the workout. He demonstrated improved boogie boarding skills. We then walked down the beach where we were once again challenged by deep sand due to high tide. It was an easier go as we headed in the other direction and were rewarded just short of our turn-around spot when a well-endowed, blonde, bikini clad lady passed by. She was the only other human we saw during our fifty-minute walk. Honest, we were at the turn around spot which meant we had to turn around and follow about 25 yards behind her. The Cantankerous One admitted to appreciating the scenery. I dutifully reported the sighting to my wife who said she would be accompanying us on future walks.  

Beach This Morning

We’ve had limited interaction with granddaughters over the past week due to some flaky Wi-Fi signals. The FBR was bubbling a little bit about staying up really late last Saturday night. The Curbside Gals got together along with their children. The Curbside Cousins enjoyed a very fun time as their moms conversed into the night. It is cool to see these second gen curbsiders falling in on the deep friendship of their moms, and, a very late night as bedtimes were forgotten for once. Meanwhile in New Hampshire BR3 took a header off the new couch yesterday and was having her recovery snuggle with dad when I called. She immediately forgot about the banged up head as she wanted to show me her improved couch bouncing technique. Her dad wasn’t pleased. BRS looked at her younger sister with just the right amount of older sibling disdain but did grace me with one of her dazzling smiles.

Curbside Cousins

Not Sleeping

Dance Party


BRS & BR3

Popsicle Time!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment