Friday, March 4, 2022

Into Each Life

I’ve been thinking of launching a well written complaint to the Las Lajas Chamber of Commerce about the lack of surf this year. With the exception of a couple days, the waves have been certifiably short of what I’ve come to expect after spending time here each of the last twenty years. It was so bad a couple days ago that when I walked down to the surf line for my morning boogie board session I looked at the calm water and just turned away. I’ve always included this as part of my morning workout because it is usually requires a real physical effort to fight your way through the surf to the launching point. I know. Boo Hoo. My life is so difficult. I think my Favorite Panamanian may have been saying prayers about reducing the power of the surf because she’s always worried that my adolescent brain sends my 66 year old body to attempt things it shouldn’t. Come to think of it she does get one of the those, almost exclusively female, secret smiles whenever I bitch and moan about the small waves. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Rain Hitting Pool This Morning!

Morning Pelican Parade This Morning

The small waves aren’t the only test of our fortitude Las Lajas is throwing our way. We’re getting the first signs that the dry season is winding to an end. Yesterday we had our first cloudy afternoon and this morning it actually rained. Granted it was only for about ten minutes and was real light but this represents the first bona fide rain we’ve had at the beach since we arrived in January. Rain means humidity which makes the 90 degree heat a little more oppressive. We haven’t been running the A/C during the day since we arrived. We just open the balcony door and front door each morning and enjoy the off shore breezes. That didn’t work today. Somewhere Great Aunt is smiling as she takes serious umbrage at my sometimes overboard exultation as to my weather versus hers.

Sunset Last Night




The waves actually approached acceptable late yesterday when I was out there. As I was whooping aloud (again, the adolescent brain) after catching a big one, I noticed our car had been moved from its usual parking spot. It was obviously moved so I could see it from my location in the water. The proverbial light bulb went off as I remembered I had promised the Favorite Panamanian that I would wash said car last evening. She had taken yet another page out of the wifely handbook and had started washing the car herself. The increased waves might have been a result of the spousal indignation she had been sending in my general direction. I hurried out of the water to help her and as the last wipe was made, she was actually talking to me again.
My Wife and Car Last Night
She'll Kill Me When She Sees this Post
Scenes From Beach Walk This Morning

Sun Reflected in Sand
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment