Sunday, March 13, 2022

Beach Ennui

It’s kind of strange to think one can get bored in paradise and I’m certainly not but the days seem to be flowing together here where I look forward to the occasional trip to the supermarket simply for a break from the daily routine. That being said, it is a very good routine. I was thrown a curveball this morning when I got up to watch the morning news and I was an hour late. The US went to daylight savings time while Panama does not so we are no longer on the same time as the East Coast. I know this whole concept will flummox Great Aunt who does not abide or even try to understand concepts such as time zones.😊

FBR Knock Knocking Yesterday
The Cantankerous Friend tried zinging me about the nuclear option of having the caretaker’s pets with us to attract granddaughterly attention again. He commented that it shouldn’t be considered a nuclear option since I couldn’t replicate it. As with most things, he was wrong on a couple levels. The phrase “nuclear option” means it is a final option without thought of follow on or repetition because, well, end of the world type scenario. Secondly the animals showed up the next night for the First Friday Family Facetime call, so, replicated. We were inside the condo last evening when the FBR called and immediately requested to see the animals.

Friday Sunset


She stayed with us even though we weren’t able to produce them, remaining focused on us through the bantering of knock knock jokes. My Favorite Panamanian was feeding them to me from a google search on her phone. It was almost like it used to be when we didn’t need furry support to gain an FBR audience. We went down to the pools afterwards for an evening swim and ran into the caretaker. He said the puppy had broken out of the room and made a bee line to where we usually Facetime from at the specific time we had made the calls the prior two nights. Smart dog, but how smart really, as he was nipping at my toes with those needle sharp puppy teeth as I was getting out of the pool.

Puppy (Constant Motion) Attacking Wife's Feet Last Night

I Wonder What Boogie Boards Taste Like

Sunset Last Night From the Pool

This apparently was the week for Panamanian fauna to interact with me at Facetime. During an earlier call this week a veritable stream of bees flew by as I was on the call. I am allergic to bee stings and have a checkered history with Panamanian bees. I had a near death experience when I was a lieutenant that included a three-day hospital stay. My wife came down during the call and was stunned that I hadn’t retreated from the thousands of bees passing by. The last thing I wanted to do at that point was attract attention to myself and since the bees seemed to have a destination in mind that didn’t include me in their direct path, I wasn’t moving. It was actually fairly impressive. I’m guessing a new queen had left a nest and was establishing a new one with her attendant air force. I was a little nervous and kept muttering, “keep moving” as the parade passed by.

Scenes from Morning Beach Walk


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment