Sunday, March 6, 2022

40 Years Later, Somehow

Today I’m celebrating forty years of marriage to my Favorite Panamanian. Exactly forty years ago her dad accompanied her down the aisle of her hometown church and nothing has ever been the same. While we had to tank our planned big party, we weren’t going to let the day pass without some recognition. A ruby ring I purchased a couple years ago magically made its debut this morning before we went to mass at the very same church. It was a lot less scary than that March 6 so many years ago. It was just me and five fellow lieutenants for the groom’s side of the wedding. This is something I’m still trying to live down with my family, especially Great Aunt.

Back in Same Church 40 Years Later
We were sitting in the same pews those lieutenants and their dates, including a gal I had dated (we lived dangerously in those single lieutenant days), sat in. My mother-in-law arranged for our anniversary to be recognized and blessed during the service so we’ve got that going for us. I was new to the whole Latin tardiness culture so I was getting a bit worried back in 1982 when the time for the wedding arrived and there were only about twelve people in the church.

40 Years Ago - A Little more Nervous

Those Lieutenants
The pews eventually filled up and after a fifteen minute wait my bride and her dad made an appearance. My wife hates all her wedding pictures because of a very unfortunate hairstyling incident. I was fortunate to have seen the suddenly very permed hair of my wife the night before otherwise I would have thought the wrong girl had showed up. I understood about a quarter of the words that were being thrown at me but I did say “si” in all the right places. That got us to the reception where my lieutenant buddies were the stars of the show while I was forced to sit in a throne next to my bride while older Panamanian ladies came up and made impassioned speeches. I had no idea what was going on but later I learned they were charismatic Christian friends of my newly acquired mother-in-law who were blessing our union.

My Brother in Law and Tia Loca 40 Years Ago

Brother in Law and his Wife Today

Wife and Her Dad

Same Spot Today
Last evening my brother-in-law took the family out for dinner to celebrate. We went to a new Italian restaurant that we’d never been to before and it was awesome. I hadn’t had lasagna in years and it was fantastic. The company, predictably, was even better as we laughed throughout the dinner. We were only missing Tia Loca and her usual altercations with her older brother. While the celebration was a lot more low key than we had planned for prior to Covid it was still appropriate on a certain level because it was with all my Panamanian family. We certainly missed having those lieutenants around to help though.

Dinner Last Night

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

1 comment: