Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Mountain Dowager and a Chicken Emergency

I’m back at the beach after a fun weekend+ celebrating our fortieth wedding anniversary. For those of you worried (you know who you are), the surf is still up, back to my expectations of Las Lajas. Monday, we set out for the mountain hotel where we spent our honeymoon those four decades ago. Hotel Bambito is located in an amazing mountain valley at the base of the highest mountain in Central America, Volcan Baru and yes, it is a volcano. The hotel was sparkling new when we stayed there in 1982 but the aging matron has not fared well over the years. It had shut down for two years due to the pandemic and after reopening in September 2021 was hit with a flood in November. It had only been open for a month when we arrived. The small bushes near the front lake are now full-grown trees. It was highly nostalgic to walk in after all these years and not much had changed except the inevitable aging, from both the hotel and ourselves.

Wife and I in Front of Room We Stayed in 40 years Ago
We talked with a bunch of the staff over our stay and mentioned how aged it looked. They volunteered that when the ownership changed to a Spanish group instead of the American and German predecessors the place went downhill. There were only three other guests in the entire hotel which made it kind of spooky at times. We got dressed up after dinner and planned to have some celebratory drinks in the hotel bar only to find it dark and unattended. We had the front desk guy track down someone to serve us and we had the requisite adult beverages. While we were in the bar, the front desk guy was also tracking down someone to find out why the toilets stopped working. In turned out they were trying to save money by reducing the water pressure but went too far. I got the definite impression that the old lady had seen her better days and was now desperately hanging on to her former glory.

Near the Front Entry

The Towering Cliffs

Gardens in Front of Hotel

Lake in Front of Hotel
Our room achieved something of hero status for me with the Favorite Panamanian. We had a two-floor suite with two bathrooms (a definite plus once they got the toilets working). The scenery around the hotel remains awesome. The pictures do not do justice to how impressively the cliffs tower over the location. We took a walk around all the places where memories resided from our honeymoon. We’ve relived those moments over the years as we’ve looked at photos from that time. As I said, nostalgia. We tried to take photos from many of the same locations but a comparison will have to wait until I get home as I was only able to find one. It was still a very nice stay in the grand old lady (terrified what that says about how long we’ve been married) of the mountains.

Our Room



I'm Standing Near Where my Wife Posed (below) in 1982

Wife Posing in 1982


Back to 2022 with Less Unfortunate Hairdo

Pointing Out our Honeymoon Suite

In Front of our 2022 Room

Late Night Solitary Bar
Prior to going to the hotel, we stopped by the nearby town of Volcan to visit the wife of one of my wife’s cousins. She’s a transplanted Brazilian and a very talented artist. She is also one of the few people I’ve ever met that can give my Favorite Panamanian a run for her money in the verbose department. When you put these two together you might as well find a seat because the conversation is going to be lively and long, very long. I’m talking world class conversationists here. You’ve now guessing where I’m going with this. It was a very nice visit and she gave us a tour of her beautiful house and grounds. It was during this tour that we encountered a bona fide chicken emergency.

The Two Talkative Ladies
Her son, an architect, lives in the house directly behind hers and built an impressive chicken coop to house his special breed of birds (they all had shaggy legs!). While we were admiring the coop, we noticed that two chickens had wormed their way between two close fences and were hopelessly trapped. Chickens are not the brightest, probably why they end up on so many dinner plates. It was going to be a team effort freeing the idiotic hens, so their freedom was delayed until additional people showed up.

The Chicken Coop

I was eventually able to tear the serial conversationalists apart long enough to get my wife in the car for the drive to the hotel. She was checking periodically back with the cousin’s wife to learn if the chickens had been freed. Tuesday morning we checked out of the hotel and headed further up the mountain road to visit Cerro Punta. I’m always impressed with the hard working Panamanians who have pushed their mountain farms high up the towering mountain sides. Because of the more temperate climate at their elevation they can grow a variety of crops. This whole area serves as the bread basket of Panama, feeding the entire nation.

Cerro Punta Drive

As we headed back down the mountain it was decided to stop by and learn the fate of the trapped chickens, because, well, that’s important. Me, with my 49% of the vote again. The two ladies were soon once again decisively engaged in their lively conversation. We paid a visit to the chicken coop and met the recovering victims. My wife dropped her cell phone into the chicken coop which immediately became an interesting pecking target before its rescue. The two peas in a pod then spent another hour touring and comparing garden notes (I was a fascinated listener). My back started acting up, the same way it did after the long standing up at Soxfather’s calling hours. I mentioned to the wife that we eventually had to leave.

The Dropped Cell Phone
They started their goodbyes as I went to the car and blessedly sat down. Twenty minutes later they came into view still in a lively discussion. They eventually pried themselves apart long enough for my wife to promise to return when she wasn’t encumbered by the male anchor (yours truly) making imperious gestures towards me. I was glad she had this opportunity to fully engage her conversationalist side because I am hopelessly outmatched trying to keep up with her. I didn’t have to resort to large muscle movements to get her into the car but it was a near thing.

Lots of Swiss Immigrants in the Mountains


We encountered a lot of traffic and road construction on our way up to Volcan on Monday. About ten kilometers short of Volcan I noticed a sign pointing to a side road indicating it led to Boquete. This would allow me to bypass the construction and the always choked InterAmerican Highway. My wife understands I have an almost weird love of exploring places I’ve never been before and driving down this road offered the perfect opportunity for that. It was a great decision because the road was well maintained as it dove up, down and around through the mountain valleys at the base of Volcan Baru. There were even signs at each of the intersecting roads that led us in the right direction.






I loved the drive. We only passed three other cars during the forty-minute drive. We came to a last intersection and the guiding sign was missing. I made a decision and started turning when my wife spotted a lady standing beside the road and decided we should ask directions. The lady turned out to be a school teacher waiting for an overdue bus. She told us we were turning the wrong way and asked if we could give her a ride into David, a small price to keep us from heading into the bowels of an unknown mountain valley. By the time we reached David, twenty minutes later, my wife and the passenger was fast friends, having shared each other’s life stories. My wife does like to talk. The teacher takes three different buses for an hour and forty-five minutes each way every day. I was impressed.

Waves Booming This Morning

It's so good to be home though and to find the surf appropriately booming throughout the night. We are, once again, the only residents of the entire condo complex and I was able to find a movie last night that we both enjoyed (no mean task). After my Favorite Panamanian retired, I started watching the new Reacher series and I was impressed. They finally have a title character that does justice to the physicality the role screams for. As I wandered off to sleep last night I returned in my mind to the fading hotel and that highly entertaining drive off the beaten path. A very good weekend, indeed.

Because of Who I Got to Spend it With
At the Talkative Friend's House
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment