Thursday, December 30, 2021

Picking and Setting Up

Today’s post was gong to be have me waxing eloquently and profoundly on reaching my retirement day tomorrow but the more I thought about it, the more I realized the world has more than enough pomposity. I’ll simply remark that it does feel weird not to have any employment plans after working steadily for the last fifty years. A good weird though. I sent out a bunch of farewell emails to the people I have been working with and said what needed to be said to them. They’re the ones that needed to hear it. Here would just be yet another case of my ability to self-aggrandize getting out of control.

The Bulkhead Pile
Now, as to the above title; picking up involved getting outside to retrieve all the Christmas decorations. I shouldn’t complain because I got a warm if moist day to accomplish this. In prior years I would find objects frozen in the ground or buried under snow; so global warming provides a small benefit. I worked methodically from one side of the house around to the back, placing everything next to bulkhead for movement to the basement for storage until next year. By the time I was finished I had a veritable mountain of accoutrement that will be a challenge to store efficiently once it all dries out. Luckily the cursed deer figures have spent their last Christmas falling down if even a minor breeze blows. I am going to take no small amount of pleasure at the dismemberment ceremony that is in their immediate future. The storage will involve guidance from my Favorite Panamanian. She is currently hors de combat, having thrown out her back a couple days ago. She tried to ranger her way through the pain but this morning I took her in to see the doctor who prescribed some highspeed painkiller which immediately put her to sleep.

My New Machine
The setting up was by far the most frustrating experience of the day. Keene Friend, my son, and the Rhode Island bunch bought me a popcorn machine for Christmas. It is awesome and, well, we all know what popcorn means to me. The frustrating part came to the simple instructions for setting the machine up. My old nemesis, Chinese instruction writers, were haunting me again. I was getting ready to blow the damned thing up when I realized the writer did not understand what counterclockwise meant. After that it went fairly smoothly until the glass door installation which wouldn’t fit. Since it was glass, my default setting of brute force and ignorance should not be used. I tinkered with it for nearly a half hour until something broke off inside the tube and the door slid smoothly into place, just as the instructions said it would. Predictably I shed some blood during the exercise and I didn’t know how I did it. My wife always says she expects me to be bleeding whenever I work with my hands. It’s my lot in life, but in the immortal words of the black knight, “It’s just a flesh wound!”.

Today's Flesh Wound
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment