Thursday, December 2, 2021

Let it Begin

Okay. So, fully recovered from Thanksgiving week excesses, we plunged into the Christmas season, my favorite time of year. That began with the purchase of our Christmas tree which was the usual adventure with my decision challenged Favorite Panamanian. She couldn’t decide which of two trees to buy so she asked me to, which I did in about 1 nanosecond. As I as hauling the selected tree to get wrapped for the trip home she emerged from the far side of the lot and asked me what I thought of another tree. I asked the guy to quickly wrap the one “we” had already selected and told my wife that it was too late to dive back into the selection mode. The tree turned out to be a perfect fit for our low ceiling which is such a change form the lofty ceilings of our first retirement home in Charlton. I miss the Christmas season in that house, but only for the parties as well as that ceiling and the huge trees we decorated with; certainly not for the driveway from hell if any snow fell.

The Starting Point, Tree Up

My wife chooses a new Christmas décor each year which can be a bit irksome for a traditional dude like myself but she always makes it work. Yesterday saw a major decorating binge. I got the tree up and equipped with lights before turning it over to her. I was then outside for the entire, chilly afternoon implanting the Christmas decor in my wife’s vast garden complex. It was almost easier this year since I did a better job of putting things away last year so I knew where each item should end up. It was still pretty damned cold out there as I finished up as the sun was setting.

After my Wife's Magic
I came inside to find that my Favorite Panamanian had worked her usual magic with the tree and living room décor. I was assaulted with the scent of pine which always brings back memories of childhood Christmases. My wife shyly asked what I thought of her work but I think she knew by the stunned look on my face. I guess this is what comes from watching all those Hallmark Christmas movies each year because it looks fantastic. She unveiled three stockings, one for each granddaughter, on the fireplace mantle. Yep, looking a lot like Christmas around here now.

Meanwhile, the deer are up Out Back
Probably for last Time

The Piles of Light that Eventually Got Emplaced
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment