Sunday, December 5, 2021

Holiday Mafiosos

The Christmas season got of to a very fun start last night with our annual Panamanian Mafia party at the house after a missing last year because, well, you know, 2020. It was necessarily a little smaller this year but that made it more fun as there was more time to spend just talking, but mostly laughing, with this lively group. My Favorite Panamanian had been laboring all week preparing a variety of food for the event, culminating with the traditional pork shoulder dish that she always associated with Christmas while growing up. Everybody else also brought some dishes and assorted adult beverages to compliment my wife’s peerless sangria.

Wife and I Last Night

The Gals

The Troublemakers
My wife allowed me to have the college football conference championship playing on mute in the background so I was able to check in on that exciting action while still laughing with the fellow mafiosos. It was the kind of night that 2020 robbed everybody of and we were once again reminded how much genuine joy can be gleaned from time spent with good friends. Predictably, we are talking Panamanians here, dancing broke out late in the night and continued until almost midnight. We are all a little stunned when someone finally noticed how late it had gotten. Time has a way of running away when this much fun is occurring. The Christmas season is now officially christened.

Another one of my Wife's Creations

A Quiet Start

Finishing up Dinner


Neighborhood Mafiosos

Dancing Breaks Out




In granddaughter news, the FBR has produced her first loose tooth which is yet another clue that she is getting older each day. She was very cute about and wanted to demonstrate just how loose it was. It was kind of graphic. In New Hampshire the BRS informed my Favorite Son that she had decided who she wanted to marry. While this is a bit premature for a three-year-old she told her dad that she wanted to marry her abuela. She must really love my wife’s hojaldras. The BRS was out with her parents last night to watch the Portsmouth Christmas parade. The ABFA kindly sent me a video of the bagpipe band which I play for my wife at every opportunity in my life long quest to make her appreciate bagpipe music. So far it  has been an abysmal failure but hope springs eternal.

BRS and her Dad

At the Parade with the ABFA


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment