Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Technicolor Reunification Operation

Our time with two granddaughters in residence has come to an end. I’d classify it as a gloriously successful social experiment with a lot of the success directly attributed to my Favorite Panamanian. She was on the verge of exhaustion but never failed to meet granddaughter expectations when it came to hojaldras or late-night reading sessions. The weather meant the girls spent a lot of time inside where my wife was more than ready with her extensive box of craft supplies. I was mostly employed as a distraction so she could get some much-needed rest. The real stars though were the FBR and BRS. They completed the bonding they started at BR3’s birthday in May and became fast friends as well as cousins.

Together Again
Yesterday their time together here ran out as the BRS’ parents required us to return the BRS home. We timed the trip to the late afternoon hoping to miss traffic but were only partially successful. We hit some rough stop and go flow about 45 minutes in. the BRS demonstrated how much she disliked this turn of events by bestowing us what we referred to in my frat days as “a technicolor yawn”. She doesn’t have a history of car sickness but she had eaten a lot of food for lunch and continued to eat as we traveled north. It was a pretty small expulsion and her abuela had things cleaned up fairly quickly.

BR3 Continues to be Fascinated by Grandpa, Go Figure
She indicated she was feeling better and this turned out to be true until we were pulling into the McDonald’s close to her home. Just as I was pulling in, she unleashed the kraken in the form of a stream that certainly lived up to the “technicolor” aspect. I think that was due to a certain popsicle. I parked the car and volunteered to go inside to retrieve some happy meals despite the decidedly unhappy back seat situation. By the tine I returned my Favorite Panamanian had the BRS completely cleaned up and changed into new clothes. The FBR was so focused on her iPad that I don’t think she even knew what was going on. This was not a bad thing considering the very real possibility of sympathetic detonations that always comes in these type situations (flashing back to some particularly malodourous C-130 flights awaiting the green light to go when one of the other paratroopers yakked setting off a chain reaction).

But I Don't Want to Say Goodbye
The BRS seemed much better after her abuela’s ministrations and we were home shortly thereafter where she was treated like a returning champion by her parents and baby sister. She and the FBR quickly dispensed with hellos and headed out back to the playground. You could tell how much she was missed by and had missed her parents. The FBR was equally happy to see the treasure trove of toys available for “sharing”. They both made gallant efforts with the happy meals as well. This was the BRS’ first such delicacy and predictably the accompanying toy was found more important than the food. Bedtime was the usual adventure with the two cousins.

Okay, If I Have To
As my Favorite Son and I tried to watch the All Star Game we could hear repeated jumping in the BRS’ room, strategically located directly above us. While this was not a big deal at her grandparent’s house that was not the case here. I think that had a lot to do with the fact that they woke up BR3 twice during these jumping adventures, breaking the cardinal rule of never waking up a sleeping infant (twice). Parents were dispatched and the situation was eventually resolved, albeit with only grudging support from the two older cousins involved.

But I'm not Going to Like It
We all had to leave early this morning, my son to work, the ABFA with the BRS and BR3 to day care, and the rest of us for Worcester. The BRS was not having any part of goodbyes and I believe she hoped they wouldn’t come true if she didn’t participate. She was devastated to be losing her best buddy of the past five days as we were taking the FBR home with us. The ABFA reported that she recovered her good spirits about halfway to day care. In our short stay we were able to see BR3’s improved walking, the day care sent a video where she took over ten steps! I’ll finish as I become used to a much quietter household with only one granddaughter in residence, so certainly not silent by any stretch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment