Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Cinema Firsts

While the weather has been anything other than cooperative my Favorite Panamanian and I continue to revel having two granddaughters under our roof. It seems each day brings new moments to cherish and its lucky we’re in the digital camera age because, if not, we’d be making constant trips to buy more camera film. That’s not to say there have not been some conflicts. We are dealing with a 3 and a 5 year old. I welcomed those as well because they mean this isn’t something conjured out my overly fertile imagination.

It's Movie Time!!!
There’s the inevitable competition but most of the disagreements have been when one, usually the FBR, wants to do something alone which runs contrary to the BRS’ stated goal in life to be the FBR’s shadow. The BRS has tried some of her “techniques” where she simply drops in place and cries. No amount of coaxing works and after the third time we figured out she was using this to garner the attention we were providing. The next time we just let her cry it out and when she didn’t get the attention, she gave it up. She hasn’t tried it again since. The FBR is more advanced in her methods but at least she’s reached the age where we can call her on them and talk her down.

Sunday Ice Cream

BRS Admired the FBR's Ice Cream
She Ended up Sharing
Our planned trip to the zoo yesterday was rained out and we decided to try our luck at the movie theater. The BRS had never been to the movies before but she was a natural. Given her paternal gene pool this was not a huge surprise. It was fun to see her eyes grow large when we first walked into the theater. The FBR loves the movies as well and had been denied for over a year by the pandemic. We still had to take precautions which the girls were great about. They were literally bouncing in their seats awaiting the movie to start. The FBR did not appreciate the number of previews that were shown, and promptly asked me after each if this was the real movie yet. An updated version of “Are we there yet?”.

FBR in Residence

Abuela and BRS Watching Previews

We Are Excited!!

Into the Theater!!
My Favorite Panamanian had packed a virtual smorgasbord of snacks in her large purse which the granddaughters took full advantage of throughout the movie. This didn’t keep the FBR from bogarting a bunch of my popcorn. Luckily, she is one of the few people in the world able to get away with this without a physical altercation ensuing. We made some rookie mistakes though, the BRS’ lighted sneakers being one of them. Once she figured out she could light them up in the darkened theater by kicking the seat in front of her; well, I’m sure the people seated behind us appreciated the light show. The movie was Boss Baby 2 and was fairly entertaining. Overall the afternoon was a total success and I was very proud of the young ladies.

Waiting for Movie to Start

Ready to Rock!
I made the mistake of volunteering to have the dynamic duo in the Man Cave with me when I wasn’t in a zoom meeting. Work then became a major challenge as they felt I should be part of the festivities instead of working on the boring computer. I was also called upon to be the occasional referee. They found ingenious ways of pulling me away from work. They decided they needed to know what each of the movies from my collection was called. They would pull one out and ask me what it was about. I’m thinking my alphabetical organization of the shelves suffered major injuries as they would put the movies back wherever there appeared to be space. It was all too much fun though. I then compounded my mistake by getting out of my desk chair and leaving it unattended. It was shortly transformed into an amusement park ride by the granddaughters and it was twenty minutes before I was permitted to sit down again.

Hijacked Desk Chair in front of Abused Movie Collection

Grandpa, Spin us One More Time

Morning Cartoon Watch While Awaiting Hojaldras

Bath Time Has Never Been This Much Fun

Today the dual threat comes to an end as we are required to return the BRS to her parents who I know have been suffering from the longest time they have ever been BRS-less. It’s been a great ride with the two of them. Grandparenting is every bit the delight promised by seemingly everybody who has experienced it but watching two energetic young ladies for five days straight has been a physical challenge. I don’t remember it being this taxing but of course that was thirty years ago and a much younger version of myself.

Hojaldras!

Dinner with Grandpa

Night, Night Girls

Cousins

And Friends

Daughter at her Friend's Wedding over Weekend

I'm Going to Miss the Hand Holding
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment