Friday, July 23, 2021

Cliff Walking

I thought about my mother a lot yesterday. One of her favorite saying was, “If your friend decided to walk off a cliff I suppose you would just follow him!?” I’m not going to get into the antics my friends and I would get into to elicit this response; that is a story for another day. I’m also not going to brag (too much) about our cliff climbing yesterday because it was as easy as possible and I have a high school classmate who won’t climb a cliff unless its ice covered or requires climbing gear (yeah, she’s pretty intimidating). The reason I was thinking about my mom is the place we were hiking yesterday had hundreds of signs posted along the trail that said, “Dangerous Cliffs, stay on paved trail to avoid injury”. So, Mom, your warnings are alive and well.

Best Part of the Day

Gang of Three in front of One of Mansions
The “place” was the Cliff Walk in Newport, Rhode Island that walks the shore in the backyard of the magnificent mansions along Belleview Ave. Our resident PanaGal had done some research of touristy places she wanted to see while she’s staying with us and Newport was one. I’ve been to Newport literally dozens of times (including a knee operation) but I’d never walked the Cliff Walk before. It turned out to be very fun on a magnificent summer day. We arrived and lucked into a parking spot near the 40 Steps starting point, which is about a half mile from the actual starting point. The ladies felt the need to avail themselves of the facilities and since it was height of tourist season there was a long line for that. While they waited in line, I decided to check out the aforementioned half mile trek to the starting point adjacent to a beach. I couldn’t see any of the mansions in this sector as they had constructed effective privacy shrubbery (the knights of Nih would have been duly impressed). I made it to the end and was almost back to 40 steps when I received a very funny phone call from the Neighborhood Mafioso. He said the girls had finished their business and were very concerned they had lost contact/control of me. I asked why they didn’t call me and that’s when I learned my Favorite Panamanian had left her phone in the locked car. The PanaGal had a phone loaned to her by the Mafioso that only had his number. The Mafioso did his part to calm the situation by telling the ladies I had already called him and was half way home, having given up on the trip. I was still laughing when I eventually caught up with them.

40 Steps Starting Point

View Across the Bay

My Side Trip to Starting Point

Reunited with the Ladies

Favorite Panamanian and the Cliffs

Glad I don't Have to Mow that Lawn
The walk itself was very easy for the first part as it consists of a concrete sidewalk behind the mansions. It was also just a nice day to be hanging out with my wife. We kept going and noticed several access roads leading back out to Belleview Ave so we could walk back that way when we decided to turn around. The trail got a little more challenging the further we went, including some required clambering but, again, nothing too difficult. We reached a point where we agreed our fun meter was pegged and we should take the next access street. We kept walking, and walking, and well, you get the picture. I eventually noticed a helpful sign that stated the next aces road was 5/8 of mile further on across some challenging terrain. The terrain didn’t turn out to be challenging but it was all of the distance indicated. The sign would have ben a lot more helpful if it was posted by the last access road instead a mile further on.

Long Trail, Beautiful Day

There was Even Some Sort of Pagoda

My Partner

Ladies Through one of the Tunnels

Ran Out of Concrete

Still Fun Though

Nearing the End
We finally popped out and noticed we were literally at the end of the entire Cliff Walk, so I’ve got that to brag about. We were a little sweaty and definitely ready for a very late lunch but faced the 2+ mile walk back to the car. We were about a quarter of the way through that when my wife flagged down a passing bicycle taxi. We piled into the back of that and completed the trip back in less than ten minutes. Yes, I wimped out and I’m not afraid to be proud of it. This allowed us to fight the traffic back into central Newport and get that elusive lunch at my favorite Irish pub in Newport, Buskers. I ordered the coldest beer they had available. The only repercussion from the long walk was some evening leg cramps that were quelled with an over indulgence in tonic water, my miracle cure for same.

Ladies Emerging From Buskers
The granddaughters have had a busy week as well. I’m still trying to figure out what BR3 has smeared all over her face but I’m a little afraid to ask. I’m sure its some sort of finger paint, hope springs eternal. BR3 now walks just about everywhere. The BRS maintains her position as an official popsicle connoisseur. Meanwhile in New Jersey the FBR was busy with friends, the pool, and playgrounds. There might have also been the odd frozen treat as well. She had her abuela spinning a little but with this picture showing her at the top of a climbing tower. The kid is nothing if not brave.

BR3 

Hope it's Finger Paint

BRS 

Popsicle Party with Dad

Spinning FBR

FBR Atop Tower

With Wingman
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment