Friday, June 18, 2021

Walling Again

I think there must be some weird attraction for me as far as building garden retaining walls because I’m back at it. I consider this the final step in the back hill terracing but, I know, I’ve said that before. This will be a top terrace to match the third level on the right side. After my gyrations for the neighbor last week, I am in pretty good shape as far as technique and didn’t want to waste it. Of course, this entails multiple trips to the Depot to secure the bricks and then praying fervently the shocks on my 10-year-old car hold out for the short trip home. I’m not allowed to use my wife’s Highlander for this. To be on the safe side I got the car inspected before starting this endeavor. I’m making good progress and it helps to get out of the house because my Favorite Panamanian is in full bake mode. She’s creating one of her amazing cakes for Father’s Day and I swear I put on three pounds just walking through the kitchen. It smells so good!

Wall Started 
The FBR has had an interesting week at her final full week of pre-school. Each day they had the kids dress up in different themed costumes. The accompanying picture is from Disney day where she was garbed as Elsa from Frozen. She’s very excited about today because she gets a daddy-daughter afternoon. My daughter is traveling into New York for a Curbside Gal gathering/bachelorette party. The FBR and Wingman have a full scheduled which includes dinner out, a play date at her old childcare facility and, of course, movie night. They’ll miss the First Friday Family Facetime but it sounds like a great time for all involved.

Disneyfied FBR
We were back the theater this week, accompanied by the Neighborhood Mafiosos. It felt like old times when people actually did things together. We saw The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard. This is the sequel to the very entertaining feature that had Ryan Reynolds guarding Samuel L Jackson against Belorussian hitmen. This time out, as with most sequels, they up the ante and the pair now have to save all of Europe from madman Antonio Banderas’ evil plot. Only it’s not just the two of them, Salma Hayek, as Jackson’s wife, is elevated to a leading role this time and she’s great. I’m not just talking about her chest either, although there is that and it is prominently featured. She steals every scene she’s in from the two guys, both of whom kind of mailed this one in. It’s basically the same story as last time as there is a genuine effort to set a record for the number of MotherF---s  used. That’s impressive and you’d have to have Jackson on board to make the effort. The farfetched plot detracts from the “charm” of the original and Morgan Freeman is absolutely wasted but this was still vey entertaining because of the three leads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment