Monday, June 21, 2021

First Friday First and Dad Day 21

I will classify the past weekend as not just an unmitigated success but something rivaling the achievement of early stages of Nirvana. I hopefully haven’t angered any Buddhists out there reading this, but I’m trying to covey how much bliss was achieved through the help of friends and especially family. It all started on Friday when I decided we needed to return to Brew City for a First Friday celebration for the first time in over a year. I alerted my former co-workers who were more than ready to answer the long-delayed bell. It got off to a rocky start wen we learned Brew City was not opening until after the prescribed time. As with many establishments, I’m guessing they’re having trouble hiring since the government is still paying people more not to work, something has to changer there, quickly.

Wife & I with Son and BR3

First Friday Reconvenes
Initiative was employed and we reconvened down Shrewsbury Street at the Flying Rhino. They were up to the challenge and it was so good meeting up with friends again, in person. Keene Friend also arrived to add the appropriate level of additional pleasure to the gathering. We were all targeted by his low key, but no less deadly wit. My Favorite Panamanian, in her first foray to  local restaurant, was especially pleased.

Wall Progress
Saturday was more low key as I expended my supply of accumulated wall bricks for the new wall I’m working on. It was too hot and I’ve become spoiled by only visiting Home Depot on weekdays now that I can so I wasn’t going to get any more until today. Weekends there are not for the faint of heart. While I was out on the hill, the next-door neighbor wandered over and gave me a Father’s Day card. I thought this was kind of weird because we’re not exactly the card exchanging kind. I opened the card to find two very hefty Home Depot gift cards he and his wife gave me for building their wall for them, so my wall is now effectively paid for.

Wife Corralling Granddaughters

BRS and ABFA's Dad

Boundless Energy
Getting to the true highlight of the weekend now with our trip north to the ABFA’s parents’ house to celebrate Father’s Day. My Favorite Panamanian had labored all day Saturday to create one of her cake masterpieces and it was just that. A Death by Chocolate cake with Oreos (double stuffed of course) as part of the topping. It was truly remarkable and had some real heft when I lifted it to transport with us. The BRS’ (and the ABFA’s, chocoholic that she is) eyes lit up when they saw the cake. It was a very fun, low key day hanging out with my son’s family and the ABFA’s parents.

Comparing Notes with Abuela

BR3 Riding

Picture of Contentment

Leave us Alone Grandpa
The BRS is tantamount to being surgically implanted onto the ABFA’s dad. They were inseparable all day and he is such a good sport. I don’t know where he gets the energy though as he kept up, seemingly without issue, with the frenetic three year old. Her favorite pastime for the day was running through water from the hose with her grandpa. It was a very hot, muggy day so I found myself wishing I had brought a bathing suit but knew I wouldn’t have been able to keep up with those two.

The Masterpiece

Father's Day Dinner
My wife and I got some quality time with BR3 who grows more precocious each time we see her. She remains an absolute food demon. We figured out she would extend her hands to be picked up by whomsoever was closest to food. It’s an effective technique because it is impossible to deny her requests for a pick up. Riggins dutifully stationed himself wherever the BR3 feeding was taking place. It was so hot and we had so much great food almost continuously that I found myself struggling to keep my eyes open, an indication of true contention (or old age).

BR3

The Dads

With Granddaughters
The ladies prepared a fabulous steak dinner for the dads that added to an almost embarrassing level of caloric intake for the day and this is even before we got to the cake. Since my wife cannot deny my anything on Father’s Day I received the requested huge piece of cake she usually castigates me for. The size of the piece also caught BR3’s eye because she crawled over and demanded to be picked up. We then tag teamed the cake piece and I was happy for her help because the cake was so good but also so rich. My silly male pride wasn’t going to allow me not to finish it but it was a close thing and the BR3’s efforts were appreciated.

Helping Grandpa with the Cake

So Good!!!!

Back Yard Hangs with Abuela
These kind of days and weekends are doomed to end though which makes today seem somewhat dimmer in comparison. After spending an entire day enfolded in the extended family, our big house with only two residents seemed even bigger and lonelier. But I still had the memories of a weekend extremely well spent to fall back on. Late in the day, the FBR and my daughter finally got me to answer the phone which they had been trying all day. Seeing their beautiful faces helped lift the incipient doldrums from the empty house. They had spent a full day helping Wingman celebrate his Father’s Day.

Wingman and FBR

FBR Goofing with Glasses

Pool Girl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment