Thursday, June 3, 2021

Picky Wall Payments

Yesterday was as crazy a day as my semi-retirement affords me. I had two doctor appointments, two zoom meetings, and my continuing wall project for the next door neighbor. When you throw in an unwisely scheduled hour-long swim workout into the mix it becomes a fairly full day. In my lifelong effort (that might be an exaggeration) to stay on Great Aunt’s good side I’ll keep her informed on the medical stuff first. The first appointment was with my prostate surgeon. I’m now eight months after surgery and the latest tests showed me to be completely cancer free! Instead of every two months I don’t have to see him again until December, so win, win.

I'll Have to Get One of These T-Shirts
I also had a late afternoon appointment with the dermatologist. If you’ve read Frail Deeds, you’ll know about my years long relationship with the dermatology department where I have strange women running their hands all over my body every six months. I guess that could be classified as an upside but the results of their ministrations have, too many times, resulted in Mohs surgery with the attendant significant excavations into my skin. I was sent there ahead of schedule because during my recent annual physical the doc saw some suspicious markings on one of my ears. I didn’t have my usual strange woman because she’s out on maternity leave but her replacement was up to the task. The marking on my ear turned out to be nothing but since this is me and the dermatologist, I wouldn’t be leaving without some cutting. She saw a strange blemish on my shoulder and extracted a tissue biopsy which I’ll hear about in the coming days. I sometimes think they get paid by the number of biopsies they execute. If I could go back to my younger self, before the Army sent me to all those very sunny places, one of the first things I would say is, “SUNSCREEN, YOU IDIOT!” Thinking about it, I would also offer some advice on certain female interactions as well, but I digress.

The swim workout followed by an afternoon of digging and wall building was not what my 65-year-old body had in mind. As usual my mind overruled the concerns and we made good progress on it. I did run into a social situation that had my Favorite Panamanian laughing at me. The neighbor is a great cook. I’m guessing here because I’m such a picky eater I’ve never sampled the food she periodically sends over. My wife loves it and assures the neighbor that I’m just an incredible picky eater. This whole situation has reached a head during this construction as she wants to make dinner for me in gratitude for the work I’m doing. This had my wife laughing because she gently tried to tell her it wasn’t necessary and then threw the whole thing into my lap where I told her my wife, if anything, was underselling how picky I am. The neighbor eventually relented and then showed up with a cold beer for me. I don’t know where she got the idea I like beer, but I’m guessing there’s some evidence floating around.

Wall Progress
The only problem was this was just before I was scheduled to leave for the dermatologist’s office so I had to decline. Since there is a bit of a language barrier I’m sure she thought I just didn’t want to take anything from her. I assured her that the beer looked awesome and I promised to partake when I returned from the doctor’s office. When I started up on the wall again, she rushed out with a beer and then stood by to insure I accepted and imbibed it. I had no problem in that arena but told her additional beers would have to wait if she wanted a straight wall. Thus emboldened, she emerged later, when my Favorite Panamanian was on site offering her wall building expertise and advice, and told me that I just had to try an exotic confectionary she had created just for me. I had to beg off due to Keto restrictions but assured her I would try on my Friday cheat day. She then went on to extol the virtues of the cookie, stating it was full of nuts and pistachios. I can’t stomach either of those in a cookie so my wife was almost doubled over in laughter imagining the faces I’ll be forced to make on Friday. Some good deeds just keep on giving.

Birthday Boy and I
Finally, today is an auspicious day because it marks the birthday of none other than Wingman. The FBR assured me she would behave extra special today in recognition of his special day. She created a handmade card that is superior than any store made variety. The pandemic has been especially hard on Wingman because he is such a social being that the forced isolation was more than burdensome. He has spent the past year as a full time teacher and companion for the FBR as well as becoming a back yard cinema impresario. I know he welcomes the re-opening we are all finally experiencing and hope he enjoys his special day as the two ladies around him will insure. Happy Birthday Wingman!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment