Friday, June 4, 2021

Escalation and Tree Dominoes

It’s the First Friday of the Week so forgive me if I am short today (you are most welcome). As we all know there is an intrinsic requirement to celebrate this most sacred of all non-holiday weekdays. There has been a major escalation in my ongoing backyard war with the squirrels and rabbits. Since I lost my air force when the nesting robins departed, the squirrels have had the upper hand and established supremacy over the bird feeders. They figured out how to open the door to one which resulted on all the seeds falling out for their leisurely consumption. I wired that door shut but they are relentless. I’ve got a sore arm from all the rocks I’ve thrown at them. I needed to up my game. I have been weaponless since the whole, unfortunate, paralyzed baby bunny situation due to my wife’s reaction to her contracting that event. She relented and I bought a fairly mellow Walther air gun that shoots plastic BBs. This could be fun and my Favorite Panamanian already asked for shooting instructions.

Squirrel Reaction to my Escalation

The New Weapon
That’s not the only thing going on today in the back yard. We lucked out a couple years ago when a huge pine tree was struck by lightning and then blew down away from the house (the lucky part) a couple months later. In falling it mortally damaged two other large pine trees that could also have reached the house if they fell after succumbing to their injuries. The next door neighbor, whom I ‘m building the wall for, contracted to have some of the trees behind his house taken down. When I got back from my swim workout this morning he asked if I wanted to talk with them. The tree guy was really cool and he pointed out there were four trees as well as a very dead one that should come down.

Old Skyline

New Skyline
We reached financial terms, very cheap, and I said not to worry about the dead one because even if it fell towards the house it wouldn’t reach it. Fifteen minutes later all four trees were down and a potential future catastrophe avoided. In a bit of good luck, the second tree that fell took down the dead one as it fell so I got that one for free. We have a whole new skyline behind the house and the squirrels have less habitat. When you go to war you have to consider all your enemies’ vulnerabilities. I hope a few of them were in that dead tree when it came down. War is war.

Debris Field

Wall Progress
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment