Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Sun Field Brushing and Canine Rodeo

If there is anything that has sustained my Favorite Panamanian and I through the worst isolation forced by the pandemic, it has been FaceTime contact with our two kids and their families. Although it’s been around for only a few years I don’t think I could survive without it. Be it the call each morning from the FBR where we try to coax her to eat her breakfast instead of playing with her latest stuffed toy fascination or the latest revelations from the BRS and BR3. Yesterday was just such a day, a dreary, rain soaked affair that could have endangered morale except for  the two calls.

BRS in her Goggles
BR3 was unsuccessfully trying to put Riggins’ dog collar on him. She is on the verge of walking but decided it was more important to get Riggins ready for a walk. She spent a good five minutes unsuccessfully trying to get the collar over Riggins’ head, just as she’d seen her parents do a hundred times. It was so funny to watch because she was so determined despite her lack of success. Riggins was the usual good sport throughout except for pleading looks aimed at his dad which seem to convey the sacrifices he has to make each day since being demoted from #1 attraction in the house to #3.

BR3 Trying to Corral Riggins
While all this was going on, the BSR was proudly devouring a popsicle without spilling it all over the table. This demonstrates progress. The BRS also found an additional use for her swim goggles. Her bathroom faces the west, so brushing her teeth before bedtime can become a sun soaked affair during the summer. This happened over the weekend and instead of drawing the blinds liker her dad suggested, she donned her goggles and brushed away. The pictures may do justice to just how funny the episode was. As I said above, these calls have sustained me over the past year. What did grandparents do before FaceTime?!

Sunfield Brushing

On the suggestion of my daughter, I coaxed my Favorite Panamanian into watching In the Heights last evening. This would seem an easy task given the very Latina-ness of my spouse but that wouldn’t take into the intense rivalry between different branches of the Latin family. I always found it fascinating that there is probably more hostility between Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Panamanians and let’s not even begin to talk about how they all feel about Cubans. Since this film was Dominican and Puerto Rican focused, there existed the need to coax. Fortunately my daughter knows my wife is a sucker for the music because she was right. This is a great movie with a very engaging, likable cast. I’m not a huge fan of musicals but this kept me entertained for the entire 2+ hour run. Anthony Ramos delivers in the lead role as a young man with dreams of returning to his native land. Corey Hawkins steals every scene he’s in as his friend. Melissa Barrera exudes screen presence as Ramos’ romantic interest. The story is about family and dreams, especially the American dream. It shows the challenges as well as the benefits of the close-knit neighborhood. Above l lth movie has heart, which is never a bad thing. The music supports rather than dominates the story. You can’t help but root for each of the many layered characters. This was the biggest surprise for me, especially since I guess I’m one of the few people who didn’t like Hamilton. In the Heights was awesome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment