Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Mission Complete & New Allies

I find myself safely ensconced back in the Man Cave for the first time since late March. This followed the epic redeployment plan we executed over the past few days. The first step was tearing ourselves away from the beach condo. That was maybe the hardest part of plan execution and not for the faint of heart. We spent the last couple days cleaning and packing things up. My wife pointedly reminded me on no less than forty-seven occasions that this was the first time since we’ve owned the condo that I’ve been available for the seasonal shuttering. After going through it with her, I counted myself impressed that she had done this the past four years without me, a lot of work.

Last Walk on Beach
After having the entire condo complex virtually to ourselves for nearly our entire stay, it was actually a little crowded on departure day. May 1 is Labor Day in Panama so this was part of a three-day weekend that brought at least six of our co-owners into the building. We took one last walk on the beach, snapped a few pictures, and then made the last ride back to David to my mother in law’s home. The rainy season is arriving with a vengeance and we drove through four different deluges on the hour-long drive. It’s almost like a Hollywood special effect where you’re driving through seriously torrential rain (it is the tropics), then pass through a curtain, to find the road dry and the sun shining.

Wife Snapping Some Goodbye Photos

Last Beach Photos


Our Condo View for Last Time in 2021
We arrived in David and hurried down the street to get the requisite Covid testing required for our flight. We had stopped by earlier that week to insure they would be open on Saturday. We’re guessing the lady my wife spoke with forgot about the whole national holiday for 1 May because it was closed up with a sign saying they would helpfully re-pen on Monday. Since we were flying on Monday, that was no help at all. Ever resilient, my Favorite Panamanian walked across the street and spoke with a security guard in front of a hospital. He told him the hospital lab was around the corner and was doing testing.

We Stopped by to See a Bedridden Uncle of my Wife
After a semi-long wait, we were admitted to the office and understood why it took so long between customers. It took nearly twenty minutes to fill out the forms. We were then directed back outside, around the corner, and entered the testing site. All the previous tests we’ve had were saliva tests or lower nose swabs. Our luck ran out with this one. The attendant pulled out a very long swab and told us to brace as he explored the upper reaches of our nasal cavity. It didn’t hurt so much as tickle like crazy. An hour later we had our results and were good to go for our flight with negative tests.

Goodbye Dinner at Gallardo's
We took my wife’s family out for a goodbye dinner at my favorite Panamanian steak house, Gallardo’s. We didn’t want the laughter to end, so we decided to re-convene on my mother-in- law’s front porch for continued laughter after dinner. Unfortunately, we arrived at the house to find that her refrigerator had met its long-awaited death. My wife and her sister headed out refrigerator shopping while her brother and I moved the old one outside for junking. Since that didn’t take a long time and the corner store still sold cold beer we commenced the front porch get-together while awaiting the shoppers return. They eventually did turn up after successful forays into three different establishments and my Favorite Panamanian was so gassed, she actually had her first beer since we arrived in Panama. I gallantly volunteered to finish it for her when she ran out of steam half way through.

My Buddy, Filliberta
Monday morning was a little crazy as we prepared for our 8AM arrival time at the airport. Since I was ready a little earlier than certain spouses, I wandered out of her sight to avoid additional counseling with the attendant delays. I thought there was a fungal growth on one of their back yard fruit trees but my wife’s sister assured me it was actually a very tasty fruit called, guanavana. I turned down her kind offer to sample what looked like a dinosaur egg. I also said goodbye to my buddy, my sister-in-law’s cat, Filliberta. She and I have a good relationship as I’m the only person she lets pat her. I didn’t understand that until the first time I saw the cat and patted her. This was accompanied by gasps from my wife’s assembled family who assured me Filliberta did not allow anyone to pat her. Me and cats, go figure.

The Guanavana Tree

The Offered Guanavana
The flight back was fairly uneventful. We had a six-hour layover in Panama City for our flight to New York but the airport was liberally “blessed” with shopping opportunities so the time flew for at least one of us. As we were boarding our flight, I was informed that I had been upgraded to first class but my wife hadn’t. I wasn’t stupid enough to take advantage of that opportunity so I made the young man who they’d sold my former seat to the best offer he’d had in a while as I traded my first class seat for the one next to my Favorite Panamanian.

The Long Wait in Panama City
We breezed through customs and immigration and then ran afoul of the Copa Airlines baggage handlers. Our bags, despite having prominent “priority” tags on them were literally the last bags off the baggage claim belt. It was nearing 1AM when we wandered outside to link up with the patiently waiting Wingman. We immediately noticed that it was not nearly as warm in New York as it had been in Panama but it was raining every bit as hard as in the tropics. It’s funny that my wife passed the entire month in Panama in the rainy season, successfully dodging the almost daily storms only to get wet for the first time here. Go figure.

Wife Cuddling with FBR and New Toys
As with every time I wander through New York I was impressed with the sheer size of the place. I always think of Boston as a major city but it is not in the same league as the Big Apple. I first noticed it in the airport where everything was twice the size of Boston’s airport. Wingman then spent nearly an hour at highway speeds, driving us to his home and we were still in the city. Massive. It just makes the 2004 Red Sox kicking the Yankees’ ass in historic fashion all the more enjoyable (but I digress). We finally hit the sack around 2AM but faced a 6:30AM awakening at the hands of the FBR. We could hear her arguing with her mother through the door that since she was awake, we should be too. I couldn’t argue with her logic and we spent a fun morning with her. She especially excited about the gifts sent by Tia Loca. She sternly warned me to refer to Tia Loca by her correct name and not Tia Loca. That’s what a stuffed toy will do for you with a six-year-old.

Home At Last!
We left for home around 11AM and made good time back to Massachusetts. We stopped by our old stomping grounds and had lunch at the Sturbridge Cracker Barrell, the first time we’d been out to eat in the USA since the pandemic began well over a year ago. We pulled into home just before 3PM and found the home in great shape. All the plants had survived my wife’s absence under the care of Kene Friend and the apparently non-stop parties he hosted at the house during our time away. The party allegation was made by Keene Friend’s cousin, the Pittsburgh College Roommate, and I think his claims may be specious. Just guessing here.

It was good to get back into our home and start up some of our routines after more than a month away. I kept finding my mind getting pulled back to Las Lajas though. This morning, while preparing my breakfast, I opened a kitchen cabinet looking for a bowl and found myself searching for the plastic bowls we keep in the condo. On the upside, while our picturesque view is decidedly decreased, I was reminded again of how crystal clear the HD TV signal is here compared to the beach. I saw my first Red Sox game of the year last night; they could be a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately all of their games won’t be against Detroit, but for a night at least, they looked formidable.

Nest of my New Allies
This morning brought some surprises. My arch nemesis, the backyard squirrels, have taken my prolonged absence as license to take control of Deckzilla. They impertinently failed to disperse when I stepped out to remind them about the whole food chain thing this morning. I then became aware of a new ally in my long standing war with the rodents. A pair of robins have established a nest on top of Deckzilla and take serious umbrage when the squirrels started to climb up near the nest. They dive bombed the pests and chased them all the way back into the woods, pecking away. It warmed my heart, home again. Wow, this was a long post, but it has been five days in almost constant motion, so there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn


No comments:

Post a Comment