Monday, May 17, 2021

Cousin Specialty

I’ve written before about the axiom – There’s Something Special about Cousins. Next generational proof was offered this past weekend in New Hampshire. I first heard the expression many years ago from the wife of one of my own cousins as she observed my and her kids playing together like old friends although they barely knew each other. This past weekend’s proof was offered by the FBR and BRS. They hadn’t seen each other in person since Christmas 2019 when the BRS wasn’t even talking yet. The ensuing, pandemic laden, year has changed that, along with the arrival of BR3. Friday was BR3’s 1st birthday and my daughter and the FBR journeyed up from New Jersey to join the party on Saturday.

All 3 Granddaughters Together for First Time Ever

With Their Abuela
There was a really funny moment when they arrived at our house. I happened to be outside when my daughter pulled up and the FBR, always ready to play tricks, was all in when I suggested we sneak up on her abuela. We quietly went up to the master bedroom where my Favorite Panamanian was putting the final touches on whatever she was doing for prep. She turned around and started talking with me and because of her usual laser focus on me to insure I was listening, didn’t even notice the FBR standing next to me. The FBR finally spoke and my wife issued a primordial scream that I’m sure had the neighbors thinking a murder was taking place. The FBR was hauled onto the bed and subjected to serial kisses from her abuela as they both laughed uncontrollably.

Partners in Crime

FBR Only in House for Short Time
But Enough to Transform my Office into Tea Party Site

Party Hosts with Birthday Girl
After a quick lunch and an inspection of the Deckzilla robin nest, we journeyed north to my son’s house where the party was already underway. In addition to the ABFA’s peerless parents, Great Aunt and Soxfather had already arrived. BR3 was in for an immersion experience in meeting relatives. She had never met my daughter, Great Aunt, or Soxfather. She took it all in stride, although you couldn’t hide the genuine, shared joy we all felt at finally being able to get the family together again.

Inseperable Cousins


With Soxfather
Knock Knock Jokes in Person!
BR3 Taking it all in
We launched into a swirl of family together time that was patently impossible for 2020. Of course, it is now 2021 and with the vaccine, days like this are possible again, thank God. A few more of the ABFA’s relatives also joined in which made her day complete. Now, as to that axiom; the FBR and BRS became inseparable from the moment they saw each other. Kids have paid the biggest price during the isolation of the pandemic and these two dynamic young ladies were making up for lost time. For the rest of our time at my son’s house you couldn’t find one without the other. I was outside on the deck while my son roasted some dead animal flesh when I heard the FBR joyously proclaim, as she was running across the yard alongside the BRS, “This is the best day ever!!”. Cousins.

Happy Gramps

Ballpit Cousins

Great Aunt & Daughter - Party Time

Everyone Always Ends up in the Kitchen 

Happy Birthday Girl
My wife had prepared two unicorn themed birthday cakes for the party that somehow survived my packing and subsequent driving. The smaller cake was for BR3 to dive into. Bonecrusher was symbolically deployed for the larger cake as this family tradition was observed for its youngest member. BR3 seemed a bit confused when confronted by her cake; that is, until the first bite. You could see her eyes light up and the attack was on. Her sister and cousin soon joined to assist in the assault. It was hilarious fun.

Pinata Time

FBR Taking Aim


Wife Joins the Scrum

It was then on to the pinata. I thought I had dodged a bullet when my son provided some sturdy looking twine to use for the pinata. My Favorite Panamanian had reminded me on at least five occasions not to forget to bring some rope, so you’ll understand why I needed rescuing, having forgotten it. My wife looked at the twine and derisively bet me $20 it wouldn’t survive the pinata pummeling. I’m not admitting she was right but I do owe her $20. The kids all took their whacks at the very sturdy paper mâché until my son delivered a coup de gras. My wife joined the kids in diving for the candy and coins. It was almost too much fun.

Meeting her Aunt for First Time

Riggins Had a Long Weekend


Assisting with Cake Assault
I’ve included a lot of pictures but they fail to capture the true bliss the day provided. 2021 is teaching us the true value of all the times 2020 denied us and the attendant worth we might have for granted before that. We ended the daylight hours sitting around the fire pit trying to coax some more fun out of a day that had more than exceeded its allotment. The cousins had to retire for the night. This meant the experimental pairing of the FBR and the BSR in the same room overnight, a test run for Christmas Eve. There were some skeptics as to whether this would succeed but at this point it would have been physically impossible to separate the two.

Blissful Abuela

Father, Daughter, Granddaughter

Great Aunt and Soxfather

The Two Cakes
They did great and actually got a few hours sleep, to boot. My wife and I heard some early morning noise and assumed they had arisen and were back on the warpath. When we went downstairs my wife found them both still in bed but talking like teenagers. I ran into my son who had been observing them on baby monitors. The FBR had been trying to coax the BRS into escaping the room by opening the door to demonstrate the sun had clearly risen and so should they. The BRS rightly concluded they would have more fun staying int the room to gossip. Soon enough they were both downstairs to enjoy a trademark hojaldra breakfast.


Bonecrusher Deployed



What is This?

Sister Assist
Since my daughter had the long drive back to New Jersey, we had to decamp from my son’s house right after breakfast. We circled the cul-de-sac twice before driving off because we truly didn’t want this time together to end. It was an equally short stay at our house before the New Jersey bunch headed south. They ended up fighting some really tough traffic and rain in, of course, Connecticut. Upon arrival the FBR was inconsolable, sobbing to her mother. She missed being with her cousins that much. She was so distraught that she refused to speak with us during their dinner FaceTime call. She claimed to be too sad. I was also but I couldn’t act out like a five year old can. They’re more honest with their feelings. There IS something very special about cousins.

Grandpa Spinning the Cousins

Best Day Ever with ABFA's Dad

Cake Eating, Together, Of Course

Fire Pit Time


Sunday Morning

Tackling Grandpa

Good Friends Now

Breakfast

Hojaldras!!!

ABFA Tackling

Cousins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment