Thursday, May 20, 2021

Driveway Dress Up

Ever since I became a civilian (wow, over fifteen years ago!) I’ve had a love/hate relationship with my home’s driveway. It started with our house in Charlton. We would probably still be living there if it wasn’t for what I called the “driveway from hell”. I’ve written before about the three hours required every time it snowed and some of my epic battles with the damnable beast. When we bought this house, one of the most redeeming features was the very short driveway. It has still found way to vex me over the past five years though, with cracks, holes and generally being a pain in the posterior. I semi-solved that last year when we repaved the entire thing. I had to wait a year before I could seal it and yesterday was the day chosen for that endeavor.

End of the Day with my Squeegee
Predictably, it was the hottest day of the year but I figured I had been steeled up for hot weather with my month long stay in Panama. I’d never done this before but it didn’t seem like rocket science and I could read the labels on the sealant. I bought my very own driveway squeegee tool and I was off to the races. It was a very slow race. I’d done some measurements and bought two cans based on the recommended coverages listed on the can. That turned out to be a sales gimmick because I had barely covered half the driveway before I was back at Home Depot to pick up another three cans. The work itself was kind of tedious and ridiculously easy; just pour out a bunch and then move it around with the squeegee. By the end I was semi-proficient and looked like I actually knew what I was doing. Looks as they say, can be deceiving.

The Beginning
It turns out I’m still a New Englander because the heat on the day long effort on the black top seriously kicked my ass. My Favorite Panamanian came out to snap pictures of me as I finished putting down the second coat because she thought I got more of the sealant on myself than on the driveway (some things never change). I was ordered to strip in the garage before entering the house with my sealant covered clothes. Overall, though, I have to proclaim the exercise a success. At least, it looks great and the cans proclaim I’m good to go for ten years. I’m not sure I trust that though, after the whole two to five can evolution.

Point New Cans Were Needed

Mission Complete

Okay I Guess I did Get Some on Me
While I was coating the driveway and myself my Favorite Panamanian was out on Deckzilla accomplishing her annual spring planting rituals in her vast garden complex. It turns out she actually missed me, something she was loathe to admit, but said it came down to the fact I’m much better at digging holes. I think she was just trying to butter me up for future iterations in the complex. She was every bit as knackered as I was by the end of the day. We’ve knocked out a couple movies over the past days as we nursed tired bodies in the Man Cave.

FBR Posing This Morning With Abuela Supplied Outfit

Those Who Wish me Dead was much better than I anticipated. I thought it would be an Angelina Jolie vanity project but it turns out she can still act, very well. She plays, convincingly, a Montanan forest fire fighter. Like I said, acting. She also pokes fun at herself a couple times which was surprising. She’s surrounded by a very strong cast which made the movie work. She’s exiled to a fire tower after a tragedy and encounters a boy lost and running in the woods. It turns out he’s being pursued by a couple of very capable assassins, Littlefinger and the Beast. There’s the attendant forest fire and plot holes (I mean who gets hit by lightning twice within fifteen minutes and walks away) but this was a lot of fun and moved at a very crisp pace. Medina Senghore, as a pregnant survivalist nearly steals the movie from Jolie. They didn’t imbue any of the characters with super human prowess which helped. Highly recommend this.

Without Remorse is loosely base on Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan universe of several decades ago. I loved the early books in this franchise before they went overboard. I was excited to see the John Clark character taking lead. Even better news was the casting of Michael B. Jordan as Clark. It’s an origin story updated to current times starting out in war-torn Syria where Jordan’s Seal Team takes out some Russians. The Russians retaliate later which sends Jordan on a highly energetic vengeance quest. There’s a serious body count and Jordan is more than up to carrying the movie. He receives great support from Jodie Turner Smith as a re-imagined Greer and Jamie Bell. There are some convoluted plot twists but this is a great action ride. Again, high marks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment