Monday, May 31, 2021

Honor Earned

We seem to have blown through May in decidedly un-pandemic fashion which can only be cherished. Today is, of course, Memorial Day, which many people don’t seem to understand. We honor, on this day, those service members, back to our founding fathers, who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve our way of life. As a veteran I’ve had many people mistakenly think this is a day for me. While I always welcome an honest thank-you for my service, I haven’t earned the right to be thanked on Memorial Day. If I had, I wouldn’t be writing this because I would be on the wrong side of the turf.

Many people go overboard, you know who you are, and say there shouldn’t be any celebrating, barbecues, or Memorial Day mattress sales. They say this is disrespectful of our honored dead. I believe they couldn’t be more wrong. These heroes died to preserve our way of life and there’s nothing more American than a barbecue or, God help us, a mattress sale. I always take some time this day each year to reflect on those who sacrificed themselves for us.


As a veteran, knowing that my service was/is appreciated means more to me than I can say and I’d like to think many of the residents of Arlington National Cemetery and the other resting places spread around the world, would feel the same way. Honor them by living your life to the fullest because you don’t risk your life for something not worth dying for. Fire up that barbecue, tap that beer keg, and take a moment to thank those who made it possible.

We’ve had another memorable weekend as life is opening back up to more closely resemble what could be defined as “our way of life”. That included yet another birthday party on Saturday evening. We walked across the street to join the Neighborhood Mafioso to celebrate his 70th birthday. In my mind we were decidedly un-senior like but I’m sure some of the younger attendees would disagree. It was, yet again, like a reunion as we were able to party with people we’d barely seen over the past year. It was a clear reminder of what was lost and sent the message I’m reflecting on today – how much we owe to be able live  our lives in this fashion.

The Birthday Boy

Cake Time

Party at Full Swing, Everyone Always Ends up in Kitchen

The Partiers, Wife & I on top Right
After a very dry spring Mother Nature apparently got the memo because it hasn’t stopped raining since Friday. I’m hoping it will finally break today so I can get back outside to knock out some chores and the inevitable barbecue to burn some dead animal flesh. That is happening down in New Jersey today with the FBR regaling me this morning about her plans to hang out all day with her friends while the parents gather for Memorial Day. I just received this photo where the FBR once again made a bee line towards the nearest dog. I’m glad that, despite the feline immersion lifestyle she’s been forced to endure, she has inherited the family trait of canine preeminence.

FBR and New Friend
My Favorite Panamanian is mourning the loss of one of her uncles today. It was not a surprise as he had been hovering at death’s door for months now. We were able to stop by several times during our recent time in Panama so my wife was grateful he hung around long enough for her to see him. It speaks to the power of family in my wife’s culture in that one of her other uncles, hearing in what desperate straits his brother was in, opened his own house to his invalided brother so that his final year could be spent with family and constant care.

R.I.P. Tio G
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment