Thursday, May 27, 2021

Medical Hooking and Jabbing

Somehow it’s already Thursday. I’m not averse to reaching weekend eve but it seems to have snuck up on me this week. I became used to the laborious progress of time through the worst of the pandemic which means the more enlightened 2021 is returning to pre-pandemic speeds. I’m not sure I like that totally but, I’ll take anything to escape the clutches of pandemic restrictions. The week is also progressing at nearly normal speed because I’ve spent part of the time assisting my Favorite Panamanian with the annual ritual of spring plantings in her vast garden complex. She shows up almost daily with more plants and I’m confused about where there is room for them but the lady has a plan. I complain but she always has the place looking fantastic which short fuses any of my complaints. She seems to take an unhealthy amount of pleasure in proving my complaints trivial.


Speaking of trivialities, I spent a good portion of the last couple days hooking and jabbing with my medical insurance company. I’ve been with them, a sub-contractor for retired military medical insurance, for over ten years. Up to this point I could not have been happier with them. They were easy to work with and always responsive. That is until I started getting bills I shouldn’t have from medical appointments that should have been covered. It all stems back to 2020 which means I have another crime to lay at that benighted year’s feet. When I came on board they said as long as the care was within the “network” I didn’t have to worry about referrals. Some clerk must have changed that rule last year and I spent the last couple days trying to convince my primary care physician to issues referrals for appointments within the network, even though that had never been required. They were as confused as I was.

There are signs that something big is coming our way in terms of street excavation. The dig safe dudes have been all over the street and sidewalks in front of the house all week. They even marked up my freshly sealed driveway!!! I’m now praying this is due to an abundance of caution but I have a sneaking suspicion, since all our utilities run underground here, that we’re about to undergo some serious digging. Our internet has been popping off and on al week which may be a sign of something going on further down the line. On the upside I’ve become semi-expert on rebooting my router. I also had an eintersting experience yesterday when I returned to the office I used to work at. While it was great seeing so many old familiar faces I realized I didn't miss the drive into (short as it was) or being tied down to my old office. I'm guessing this means I am so ready for retirement. Still great seeing those people though.

I’m sneaking in a lot of the movies that came out over my pandemically forced exile from the movie theaters. This week’s entry was Unhinged. Russel Crowe, greatly expanded from his Maximus days, plays a psychotic road rage perpetrator. Crowe plays a scarily effective villain as rage bubbles effectually just below the surface as he cuts a swath through the life of a woman who made the mistake of blowing her horn at him when he doesn’t move for a green light. If nothing else this movie might improve driver courtesy as you can’t see it and then not have second thoughts in a situation we’ve all faced. There is almost constant tension from the opening scene, a double murder using a hammer. Crowe exudes screen presence even as a reprehensible, totally evil character. I left the movie wishing I owned the franchise for whatever donut shop he frequented to prepare for this role.

FBR Holding Court With her Neighborhood Gang

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment