Monday, January 23, 2012

Pats Win and Early Morning Light Show

Thank You Billy Cundiff!
I wrote earlier about how much more fun it was to watch football games with friends.  I completely validated that theory yesterday when I traveled an hour and half back to my hometown to watch the Patriots game at the house of a close friend.  A bunch of other friends also showed up and we had an absolutely fantastic time.  Buddy was sentenced to his cage because he doesn’t handle crowds or low lying plates of food well.  Actually he handles low lying food all too well, hence the cage.  He seemed at peace there and made the most of it by conning anyone who passed by his cage out of a treat.  My wife missed the entire first half of the game due to an extended shopping trip; she loves the tax free shopping of New Hampshire.  I used the opportunity presented to share a “few” beers with friends, something I normally don’t do on a “school night” (when I have to work the next day.)  But this was special and I truly enjoyed it although it did result in a bizarre phone call to my sister about the lint shedding from a blanket that she gave my friend two years ago as a Christmas present.  She rightly claimed the statute of limitations had expired on complaints and we proceeded.  The game was a see saw match with the Patriots defense, especially man mountain Vince Wilfork, finally showing up big which was good because Tom Brady played like a rookie.  My wife donned her Tom Brady shirt when she arrived but the game went south for the Patriots almost immediately and we made her take it off.  The Ravens missed a last minute field goal that was a gimme on any other day.  This all sets up a Super Bowl rematch with the hated Giants who ruined the Patriots perfect season a couple of years ago.  Drama indeed!  There was food, drink, and comradery aplenty.  My wife had to drive home due to the drink aplenty part and she did this without her usual lecture about the evils of demon alcohol which means she had a really good time also.  This morning came awful early and I was reminded why I don’t normally drink the day before a work day.  As I was stumbling downstairs in the early morning dark I was greeted by a huge light show outside.  I live in a small town and every police car and fire truck in the town must have been in the street in front of the house with their lights flashing.  I didn’t realize we had this many emergency personnel in the town. They were congregated around a house across and two houses up the street, people we do not know.  Luckily it did not look like there were any ambulances.  I couldn’t get Buddy up for our normal morning conversation because this scene would have sent him into high alert mode.  I did wake up the wife because she lives for things like this and she immediately concocted a full blown story about what was happening, devoid of any knowledge about what was actually going on.  We both laughed when she finished.  After a half hour they all went away so this is a mystery we’ll have to wait to hear about.

Vince Wilfork - The Man of the Match!

No comments:

Post a Comment