Sunday, January 22, 2012

Finally Got to Use My Favorite Toy

My Toy and I From an Earlier Storm
We spent all day yesterday inside due to an all day snow storm.  My wife, who grew up without snow, adamantly refuses to leave the house on a day like that; it's the only time I can call her a wimp and get away with it.  I have a great house to watch a storm in because the family room has windows on all three sides and the house sits on a hill with great views.  This was the first big snow storm since the strange Halloween snow.  Yesterday we felt like the house was encased in a snow globe.  I take a very strategic approach to the driveway.  Due to aforementioned hill the driveway has to be cleared of snow all the way to the pavement or the first car going over it will turn the packed snow to ice and I'll have a problem getting up the hill even with four wheel drive.  I pick the best time to get out there, after the street gets plowed with the attendant snow bank at the bottom of the driveway, and then launch my previously positioned tractor mounted snow blower (my favorite toy).  My wife gives me a bit of guff because I'll be out there if there is a half an inch of snow.  Her approach is much less strategic than mine.  Yesterday we had closer to six inches so I was rocking.  Once I finish our driveway I usually knock out the driveways of our neighbors.  They think I'm a great guy but I feel guilty accepting the praise because I really do enjoy doing it.  I think of it as revenge for all the sore backs of previous years of shoveling snow.  I even did the driveway for the weird neighbor across the street who doesn't talk to anybody.  I was in the zone and it was 12 degrees outside.  I noticed another neighbor who has a walk behind snow blower and I helped him with his.  This was pay back because he was the one who rescued me earlier after the Halloween snow (see earlier blog).  Yes, I'm still paying for that with the wife.  Later in the evening one of the neighbors showed up at the front door with a chocolate pound cake, still hot from the oven, to thank me.  Again, I felt guilty because I do enjoy doing it so much.  Not guilty enough to refuse the cake, of course, but guilty nonetheless.  While we waited out the storm we also received several phone calls from relatives which was extremely cool, except that my favorite cousin called with some troubling health news.  We'll have to keep him our prayers while he undergoes some critical tests in a couple of weeks.  Today we're heading up to my home town to see if the Patriots can make it to the Superbowl.  They're the last great offensive team standing but they're up against a tough defense today.  I'm really looking forward to watching the game with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment