Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Filially Fortunate

If you’ve read this blog at all you know how proud I am of my two children, justifiably.  They are both college grads starting out on very successful careers and lives.  I was reminded again last night of just how lucky I am.  My wife leaves for a month+ long sojourn back to her parents’ home in Panama on Thursday.  Her birthday occurs during the time she is away.  Last night my son, who works about 50 miles away, showed up at our door with a bouquet of flowers (he knows his mother) and took us out for dinner.  He also presented her with a birthday card that had our eyes tearing up with some very heartfelt sentiment.  He did all this because he knew he wasn’t going to be able to see his mother on her birthday and wanted to make her feel special; mission accomplished.  He is such a good person and I think that is what I am most proud about him.  He is in the middle of making a very difficult professional decision where he has been offered  a great professional opportunity at the same time he has found the love of his life.  In the midst of all this, he takes the time to drive all the way to our house and spend an evening with his parents.  What other mid-20s guy is going to do that?  We were both very touched and a little bit in awe.  Our daughter is a little further away so she couldn’t make the trip up but she did spend a lot of time last week making three music CDs for her mother to take with her to Panama which arrived on Monday.  I can’t think about my kids without realizing just how blessed I am with these two.  When I compare them to where I was at the same age, I come off a very distant third. 
We all went to the movies after dinner and just had a great evening.  The movie was Haywire, which was kind of a disappointment.  Steven Soderburgh directed but his lead actress, while physically talented, could not act, even a little bit.

We are Truly Blessed with These Two!

No comments:

Post a Comment