Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Music Medley From the Past

My wife was on the computer last night hunting down music for our upcoming anniversary party.  We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary at the same party as her parents celebrate their 60th.  My wife came up with the idea that we needed music from the times both couples were courting and coerced my daughter into agreeing to make a CD of the selected music.  My wife, a master of timing, decided last night was the time to make these decisions, at the same time I was trying to watch a Bruins game and then a Californication show.  Oh yeah, the speakers for the computer are about a foot and a half from where I sit while watching the TV.  When I politely asked why she didn't do this during the day while I am at work I was summarily dismissed as being an unfeeling lout who did not understand how tight her daily schedule was.  This led to a high level of unintentional comedy when certain events transpired on the TV screen accompanied by some wildly inappropriate music from the computer.  The funniest part was my wife on the phone with her mother in Panama playing Panamanian music from 60 years ago and then singing along with her mother to the music while I was celebrating a Bruins goal.  I was eventually dragged into the discussion of the music from our era, which is truly unfortunate, our era not the fact I was dragged in.  Being in the military I was spared the vagaries of having to choose a hairstyle which as I looked at the videos from the early 1980's was a Godsend.  What were we thinking!  Another aspect of the unfortunateness was that my wife and I courted during the slow painful death of disco music so you can imagine how much fun it was listening to some of that last night.  In reality I had a lot of fun going through the music from my youth, as terrible as that music was.  My wife and I were able to reminisce together about some fun times which is never a bad way to pass an evening.  Finally this blog seems to be paying benefits as an old friend found it over the weekend and called me up yesterday.  We're already planning to get together to watch some football.

No comments:

Post a Comment