Saturday, August 10, 2024

Tandemversary

Ending a fairly quiet week at home as we waited for Hurricane Debbie to pass by. We only had some Deckzilla flower pots blown over with a lot of rain. I’m hearing it sucked to be in Northern New York and Vermont though. My Favorite Panamanian and I will need this break in action though for a couple reasons. First, we’re both dealing with some age-related physical issues. My knee and foot seemed to have resolved but the lower back has been acting up ever since I unadvisedly swung a granddaughter around more than I should have. In my defense, they are all fairly irresistible, but they are getting bigger. Scrolling aimlessly through Facebook reels I found a recommended morning stretch involving swinging one leg at a time in a circular motion to loosen up the hips and lower back that actually sems to work, fingers crossed. My Favorite Panamanian’s knee pain has blossomed over the past weeks and she’s getting an MRI and orthopedic doctor visit in a couple weeks. That’s the health news.

Best Weekend Ever #1

Best Weekend Ever #2
The second reason rest I vitally important is that we will receive all three granddaughters next weekend for their annual summer stay with us. Next Friday will be the last day I wake up later than 6:30am for the following two weeks. A worthy price to pay to hang around with these young ladies. My wife has already prepared their t-shirts to welcome them to Grampa and Abuela’s summer camp. We have the usual amount of activities lined up for them including a few more pool days as they all seem totally enamored with the aquatic environs. I’m guessing that’s hereditary. BR3 had an important educational milestone this week as she graduated to pre-kindergarten. With the FBR amping up for 3rd grade and the BRS for 1st grade, I guess that explains the strained back muscles.

BR3 Heading in for First Day of Pre-K

Big Sister Telling her What to Expect

Matching Bows

They Spotted a Couple Baby Deer in Front of the House
This week also marked the annual dual anniversaries of both “kids”. They were married a day + five years apart. That’s great as I’m getting older and only having to remember one anniversary date, knowing the other one is a day later. That doesn’t capture the great memories associated with both weekends; officially labeled as Best Weekends Ever #1 and #2. My daughter and Wingman celebrated their 15th year of married life which seems almost impossible until I realize how old I’m getting. Their wedding predates Frail Deeds. Some great memories of that weekend including a biker convention at the reception hotel, carrying my underage Panamanian nephew out of the reception after he snuck all the table wine, and our Charlton house rocking all weekend with the assembly of friends and family. My Son and the ABFA tied the knot five years and a day later in Nashua which carries a huge amount of romantic memories for me (Nashua, that is). It was a another fabulous weekend highlighted by my son's reaction to seeing the ABFA in her wedding dress for the first time, an awesome mother-son dance, getting to know the ABFA’s great family, and the Cantankerous One’s hotel misadventures. Frail Deeds was in operation by that time. The day is captured here:

 https://fraildeedsdancing.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-day.html

My Son's Reaction to the ABFA

True Love
I had a lot of fun re-reading that and the posts from the surrounding days. It reminded me of what a fantastic time that was. So, Happy anniversary to the four of you, I’m so proud of the families you’ve created and allowed us to be part of. (Oh, and for all the grammar Nazis out there, I know the title isn’t a real word)

Six movies fell in the A-Z watch, five keepers: The Last Action Hero, much better than I remembered, great cameos; The Last Airbender, what possessed me to buy this, worst acting I’ve ever seen, terminate with prejudice from the collection; The Last Boy Scout, great 90’s action with Willis dominating; The Last Legion, a bit miscast, Mr. Darcy will never be an action hero, but has Roman legions, Arthurian legend, and Aishwarya Rai (yikes!); Last Man Standing, Willis again in a gritty Walter Hill film combining prohibition gangsters and the wild west; and Last of the Mohicans, just a great movie, song will be stuck in my head for days now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment