Sunday, August 4, 2024

Celebration Laced with Big News

It’s been a while since I’ve been on Frail Deeds and that is usually due to being too busy or granddaughter involvement. I’m happy to report that both can be assigned blame for this lull in my fractured prose. We spent the beginning of August worrying about a friend who faced a health challenge but that person has once again rallied and seems out of danger. That wasn’t the only good news as we had all three granddaughters inbound for the weekend. The compelling attraction for their arrival was the Saturday celebration of Namesake Nephew’s engagement at Great Aunt’s home. The first to arrive was my Favorite Daughter and the FBR late Friday afternoon having navigated through a ferocious thunder storm.

Namesake Nephew and his Future Bride
The FBR quickly established herself in the house and set about “fixing” the facial makeup for her abuela and mom. She wasn’t daunted by an even bigger challenge and coaxed me (I can deny her nothing) into a makeup session. The ladies were impressed. We also delivered the Ireland/Scotland gifts although the FBR was more impressed by another result of her abuela’s shopping, a small suitcase. My Favorite Panamanian noticed how much the FBR coveted a suitcase after seeing her cousin, the BRS, with one. It was a huge hit and she was soon parading around the house in yet another cute, abuela supplied outfit. She is nothing if not a fashion statement. After the obligatory Friday night pizza and Family Facetime call, the FBR seized control of the Man Cave for her Friday Night movie. It was so good to have a less than quiet house again.

Abuela Gets her Special Treatment

Then my Daughter

The Results
My Much Scarier Results
FBR With her new Acquisitions in Abuela's Shoes
Someone Got a Hold of my Phone
Found this 
We set out for Rhode Island mid-day Saturday to celebrate Namesake Nephew’s engagement. My Favorite Son and the ABFA were late arrivals since they had to end their beach sojourn and move out of their rental house that morning before driving down to R.I. That set up the usual every five minute questioning by the FBR regarding her cousins’ arrival time. Luckily, on a very hot and humid day, Great Aunt’s pool was available and the FBR, a well-known pool aficionado, could not resist. Namesake Nephew set up a very welcome sun shade on the deck and we spent the entire afternoon there. My son’s family arrived and the all was well as the granddaughters once again took up their cousinship as if no time had passed. BR3, watching her more accomplished sister and cousin paddle around the pool, starting taking some chances, even with her swim wings on. The ABFA, ever watchful decided her presence in the pool would address BR3’s increased bravado and also offered her a welcome chance to cool off.

Daughter Wife and Sis on the Deck

Cousins in the Pool



Remy was a Big Hit

As is normal whenever Soxfather’s family gathers, there was an overabundance of food available. At a certain point the entire clan gathered on the deck for a special announcement. Everyone, except the engaged couple, thought this was a chance to celebrate the betrothal. That impression was shattered when the couple handed Great Aunt a special card. She was a little confused as she opened the card. The card was accompanied by a small garment. The card ended with a small picture which showed an ultrasound of Great Aunt’s first ever grandchild! She was overcome with emotion as the news sunk in and the crowd erupted in good wishes for the expecting couple. After a long career where she has more than earned her title as a favorite aunt of so many that were assembled on that deck, Great Aunt basked in the knowledge that, early in 2025, she will welcome a granddaughter. I could not be happier for her.

Great Aunt Learning she'll be a Gramma!


More Pool Time

And Remy

Best Friends
Remy Couldn't Hide under the Table

As the existing granddaughters’ bedtimes approached, we had to reluctantly leave this august gathering. My Favorite Panamanian was driving as there was also an overabundance of adult beverages to celebrate the day. While we were using the GPS, she told me to stop “helping” so I was silent when she missed an exit. I did help her get back on the right route and, for once, was capable of keeping my mouth shut during the entire interlude. We returned home to the usual battle in trying to get three very charged up young ladies into bed. I tried to stay above the fray as a dispute arose over assigned bunks between the FBR and BRS. The FBR ended up in her mother’s bed to finally settle that row.

Last Night in the Man Cave

Granddaughters this Morning With Suitcases



FBR Fixing BR3's Runaway Hair
The adults adjourned to the Man Cave to watch the Olympics. I’ve been kidding my son and daughter for years about abandoning cable in favor of online programming. I’m guessing the cosmos heard enough of my banter because for the last two nights my usually very reliable cable was spotty at best, completely failing for long stretches. It’s testimony to how great my “kids” are that they didn’t take advantage of the situation by reminding me of my earlier boasts. It was still a very fun night hanging out in the cave with these very special people. They’re all gone now, called upon to return to their homes. Our home is once again as quiet as it ever gets when the Favorite Panamanian is in residence. My wife’s shoes are strewn throughout the house as all three granddaughters inherited her love of footwear and their abuela’s shoe closet is one of the first places they descend upon when they arrive. They could be in a little trouble though as they departed without returning their borrowed shoes to that closet. All three will be back in a couple weeks for their annual summer stay with us. A final note on shoes, the FBR is rapidly catching up to her abuela’s actual shoe size. She’s growing up entirely too fast. Her mother and uncle did the exact same thing to us. Miss them all so much right now.

Five movies fell in the A-Z watch, all keepers: Kong, Skull Island, really good action movie that I had all but forgotten about; K-Pax, I know he has personal issues but Spacey is such a good actor and I love him in this; Krull, guilty, silly pleasure that I used to love watching with my son when he was young; Lady Bird, such a good movie exploring the dynamic between mothers and daughters; and Mrs. Doubtfire, (watched out of order as the FBR’s Friday night movie), Robin Williams remains a national treasure, miss him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Seis Amigos - two couples from our condo complex and my wife and I; Soxfather – my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment