Monday, May 15, 2023

Mother of a Weekend

I am exhausted on a number of levels, physically, spiritually, and certainly emotionally after trying, once again, to cram way too much fun into a single weekend. I blame my friends and my family as the main culprits in arriving to this situation; happily (except for the whole physical aspect, which was the most predictable), needless to say. It all started on Friday night after a spirited First Friday Family Facetime call. My Favorite Panamanian and the Neighborhood Mafioso had conspired during their various shopping expeditions over the past week for a Friday night dancing expedition.

The Fabulous Moms Yesterday
We returned to the Auburn VFW club event room, where we were joined by another couple of friends, which featured a lively crowd sporting a wedding reception and some sort of anniversary party. The band was old enough to make us feel like teenagers but they were actually pretty good. The dance floor was crowded all night and we had a fantastic time. The wait staff was obviously undermanned for the number of people but it was a short walk to the bar and a couple well placed tips insured a steady flow of Coors Lite all night. I’m not sure my Favorite Panamanian was exceedingly pleased with my initiative in that area. As the night wound down we stepped over the adjacent VFW bar which had a karaoke night going. I was truly impressed with all of the singers, including the Mafioso’s husband who delivered a memorable performance. I maintained my lifelong ban on myself for public singing so the night was not ruined.

Wife and I Friday Night

Attempted Group Shot of Our Table

Better Effort
Saturday promised the arrival of my son and his family but first we took delivery of our yearly supply of garden mulch, 4 yards worth. Yes, it was the annual mulch day. Usually this means a solid two days of back breaking transfer of the pile via wheelbarrow to my wife’s vast garden complex. The Mother’s Day holiday saved me for that (for a while) but I moved a out half the pile to the gardens before they arrived. We needed the space in the driveway for them to park. I got all the gardens except the back yard terraces covered. Obviously, those terraces are the long pole in the proverbial tent.

The Dreaded Mulch Pile Arrives
As soon as they arrived, the BRS and BR3 immediately set about transferring every toy stored in the basement granddaughter toy storage area up to the living room and Deckzilla. I don’t understand this semi-primordial need but they all do it as soon as they arrive. Many of the toys aren’t played with again during their stay but it’s ankle busting availability is apparently important. They are so much fun to have around and lend the needed decibel increase to the household sound environment. The BRS had decreed, through the ABFA, that a fire and S’mores were needed following dinner.

Have Wanted to Use this Cartoon for a Long Time
The ABFA had given me a heads up about that request so I spent part of Saturday morning foraging in the woods behind the house to produce enough firewood. It turns out senior citizen knees aren’t totally up to the task of breaking branches into smaller pieces. It developed that it probably wasn’t a good idea to inject that amount of sugary substances into the two granddaughters shortly before they were going to bed. An added factor was that this marked the first time we were attempting to have BR3 join the BRS in the granddaughter room for the night. It was not a resounding success. The parents and my Favorite Panamanian were called upon to make repeated trips to the girls’ room as they refused to even consider the possibility to going to sleep.

BR3 and BRS on Deckzilla, ABFA Behind

Deckzilla Al Fresco Dining

Grampa with the Fire Bugs

Wife Totally S'Mored
My son joined me for an abbreviated movie night in the Man Cave but went to bed early, expecting an oh dark thirty morning wakeup from his sleep averse daughters combined with a Mother’s Day meaning moms were slated to sleep in. He was prescient as he had to get up at 5:30am with his energetic progeny. I found them safely ensconced in the Man Cave when I eventually got up. We all displaced to the kitchen to prepare Mother’s Day breakfast. My son was called upon to make the expected hojaldras for his daughters. This is usually my wife’s duty but she was prohibited from the kitchen yesterday. My son produced, in my opinion, a reasonable substitute but admitted he doesn’t know how his mom achieves the sliver thin dough which marks her efforts. The BRS quit after only eating one hojaldra, well short of her usual consumption rate, which indicated abuela’s exalted status as the sun center of hojaldra creation is safe. My son opined it was probably a good thing because if the girls felt their dad was capable of quality hojaldras, they would demand it all the time.

Birthday Girl got a Bear

Then Found a Disguise

Cooler Sunday morning Brought Dining Inside

BR3 Loves her Dad
My son and I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon prepping a Mother’s Day turkey dinner. We’ve established a good work routine based on our Christmas dinner experiences. While we engaged with that, the ABFA’s parents and Great Aunt arrived which reduced the frequency of the granddaughter kitchen intrusions. The dinner turned out fairly well and the granddaughters joined the adults at the big table with only minor spillage issues. We hope we adequately honored the fabulous mothers our family is blessed with.

BR3 Helped Set up the Table

ABFA's Mom and Dad, the Wife, with BR3, Son with BRS

ABFA and Great Aunt
Sunday was also BR3’s third birthday which will be properly celebrated next weekend but we couldn’t let the day pass without some notice. She was very proud of the attention and bravely attempted, mostly unsuccessfully, to display three fingers to show she knew how old she was. It was truly Spockian to see her attempts. We had an ice cream cake which was a big hit with both granddaughters. The adults weren’t displeased either. I was happy when the mothers gathered, post dinner, at the table to talk while the guys cleaned up the usual aftermath of our kitchen efforts. These type conversations amongst family are to be cherished and I vicariously enjoyed the laughs and talk going on in the next room. My son directed the Celtics game 7 playoff be turned on. We watched a competitive first half together with my son planning on departing at half time, hoping to catch the final couple minutes at his home. The birthday girl had other ideas however. The lack of sleep from the night before as well as dodging her usual afternoon nap caught up with her. She crawled into her dad’s lap and promptly fell deep asleep despite all the noise going on around her.

Ice Cream Cake!

BRS Prepared Special Cards for her Grandmothers
This allowed my son to stay long enough to see the beginning of the Celtics second half surge as they destroyed the 76ers and their pampered superstars. That was sweet. Less savory was the departure of all our guests in short order. The usual jolt of separation when favorite people leave was as impactful as usual. Still, both my wife and I were fully exhausted. We watched the end of the game together. A great Mother’s Day where the moms were afforded their proper honor.

The BR3 Collapse
I re-learned the lesson that my body is not as young as it used to be. The Friday night dancing produced a sore foot while the mulch pile as well as granddaughter activities sapped energy levels. I now know why senior citizens hobble around. I was into serious hobbling this morning. In the immortal words of Mr. Gump, “I am not a smart man”, as I still went to the pool this morning for my swim workout followed by a half hour on the bike. I followed this with the intention of attacking the rest of the mulch pile before my Favorite Panamanian decreed I first had to remove last year’s mulch from the terrace gardens. That was a lot of fun as I had to lug it up the hill to dispose of it. Combine that with a requirement to repair the wheelbarrow halfway through, meant the pile was safe for the day. I admitted to my wife at 4:30 this afternoon that I had run out of gas. A good night’s sleep will mean the pile dies tomorrow.

Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, both keepers (obviously) as I completed my march through the Die Hard series, Live or Let Die Hard, McClane taking on hackers along with his daughter and Justin Long; and A Good Day to Die Hard, McClane takes on the Russians along with his son, worst of the series. Now it’s on to Clint Eastwood’s Dirty Harry series, making my day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment