Monday, May 8, 2023

FBR Surprise

We stole a march on the eldest granddaughter this past weekend. We committed to go to her T-ball game and she thought we were coming early on Saturday morning. My Favorite Panamanian’s indistinct Cinco de Mayo plans for Friday fell through so we drove down Friday. Our daughter helped with the surprise by not telling the FBR we were inbound. We hid behind a tree as our daughter picked up the FBR from school. When they cam out the door the FBR spotted us and let out a delighted scream and made a bee line to deliver one of her patented hugs to her abuela. I was the lucky recipient of the follow-up hug and was immediately designated as her porter to carry her to the car.

Abuela is in the House!
Bearing Gifts Of Course
We followed this up with a Family First Friday call with the obligatory pizza and beer (well stocked with Coors Lite). I was able to experience firsthand the FBR’s weekly desire to end the call so she could get to her movie night. I cannot for the life of me remember the movie we watched, but we were together which is all that mattered (at least to me). Wingman showed up unexpectedly as his boss heard there was a family reunion and sent him home early.

FBR Spotting us as She Leaves School with our Daughter

A Quick Backpack Drop

And Run to Hug Abuela
Saturday brought the main event of the weekend, the FBR’s baseball game. At least it resembled a baseball game, there was a significant amount of endemic chaos, which was fun to watch. The FBR is a really good athlete but the team concept is something she’s working on. When she was in the field, she would have whomever fielded the ball throw it to her, even when she wasn’t playing first base. Wingman is working with her on that. The FBR chose to have her coach pitch to her instead of using the T and had a couple really solid hits.

FBR in the Field

Spectating

FBR About to Launch One
After the game we walked through the park to the nearby Maplewood village where we scored some ice cream. To the victors, belong, etc., etc. On the walk back to the car the FBR insisted on showing us her secret place, even though we’d been there with her last year. It’s a picturesque confluence of two streams behind a row of bushes. She was a little miffed to find an artist had set up an easel and was painting what she regarded as “her” place. She reluctantly allowed the artist to continue her work before we set off for the car, inspecting some turtles on the way.

Grandpa Gets a Hug After She Crosses Home Plate

Maplewood Village for Ice Cream

FBR with her Two Grandmothers, Secret Place in Background
Back at the house it was decided the ladies would go shopping. My Favorite Panamanian finally has a partner, in the FBR, that she’s always sought, someone as crazy about shopping as she is. Neither of our kids were ever the big shoppers that she is but the FBR certainly is. Needless to say, I did not accompany them, something they figured out without any consultation with me. This gave me a couple hours to read. Something I’ve noticed since my return from Panama is my opportunity to read has been diminished. Granted there’s a lot more to do back here than lounge on the beach and read for a few hours each day, but I genuinely have missed it. Besides, it got me out of shopping.

Mother and Daughter Never Gets Old
The big event of the evening was a visit to the recently opened Italian restaurant where Wingman is manager. He played a critical role in getting the restaurant open and his bosses have heaped praise on the long hours and the initiative he displayed in getting the place ready. It’s in South Orange, New Jersey, a quick 15-minute drive from Maplewood. We arrived a little early because my daughter had a surprise of her own for my Favorite Panamanian. On the coincidental opportunity to show her mom a favorite store, we walked down the street to a florist where they had a fabulous floral arrangement prepared for her. My daughter organized it as a Mother’s Day gift. I could tell how moved my wife was by her daughter’s thoughtfulness.

Moher's Day Gift Surprise

Walking to Dinner
We arrived at the restaurant next and were treated like rock stars because we were related to Wingman. It was obvious throughout our time there how well thought of he is. The chef kept sending out complementary treats throughout the meal. Wingman was very busy, getting ready to coordinate a Kentucky Derby event but took time to give us a tour of the restaurant. They have an indoor bocce ball court which the FBR loves because it gives her a chance to practice her cartwheels, at least when Wingman isn’t looking.

FBR at Restaurant
Earlier, at the T-ball game, one of my daughter’s friends learned we were going to the  restaurant and warned us to not eat for the rest of the day until we got there, to save room for the fabulous food we would receive. While I didn’t follow her advice, I’ll admit I was impressed with the quality and the amount of food that just kept coming, in the best of Italian traditions. I was poignantly reminded of the many dinners we had at Soxfather’s mother’s house where fantastic, Italian dishes came at you in waves. It was a very fun evening, even with the FBR’s decision to spill her lemonade on the table and her mom.  

With my Daughter and Wingmom at Dinner

Never Far from Abuela
Upon our return home, one of the FBR’s best buddies was walking down the street and soon there was a lively game of something going on in the back yard. That is the incredibly fortunate environment my daughter’s family finds itself in Maplewood. In a few more minutes another set of friends and two parents had joined the raucous crew charging around the back yard (okay most of the charging was handled by the kids). This is a true neighborhood and I count my granddaughter so lucky to be growing up in this kind of environment. It’s also a boon for her parents and Wingmom who have a legion of friends as well.

Impromptu Saturday Night Play Date

Looking Down the Street from Back yard
Sunday, as is standard operating procedure whenever we are in the house with her, the FBR provided her lively early morning wake up call. I’ve learned to protect my “sensitive” regions when I hear the door ease open in preparation for her launching onto the bed. We wanted to give our daughter and Wingman a rare chance to sleep in, so we snuck out with the FBR to a local diner for breakfast and then church. The FBR was very well behaved in both places. I remember it used to be a lot easier to lift her up to see what was going on at the front of the church. She’s gotten bigger while my ability to maintain that added weight at shoulder height has waned in equal proportion. I held on as long as I could.

FBR has Yet to Find a Rock She Won't Pose on
The FBR disappeared for a play date Sunday afternoon and I took the opportunity to help out with some back yard chores. With his new job, Wingman only gets a couple days a week off and it has rained each of those days for the past few weeks. I was only planning on a little but I got into it and before I knew it, I’d been at it for a couple hours. The ole peasant in me can’t help himself at times. I enjoyed the opportunity help out. Wingman wandered down the street to find the FBR and reminded her that her grandparents were here and were leaving soon. In a major surprise, she immediately told her friends that she had to leave to spend time with us.

At the Diner
We spent some more time out in the freshly manicured back yard on a fantastic spring evening. The FBR decided we needed to play a game of charades and created the cards herself and then ran the game with an iron fist. This was followed by batting practice (for the FBR). She sent a bunch of balls over the fence. The kid has talent. It’s also interesting that, like her grandfather, she throws right but bats left. Who knew that was hereditary? While all this was going on my daughter had prepared a fantastic chicken dinner which provided a great cap for the day.

FBR Practicing Gymnastics at Home

The Charades Gane


Their New Remodeled Living Room - Awesome!
My wife volunteered to put the FBR down for the night (the FBR loves her abuela’s rendition of Tres Elefantes). My Favorite Panamanian made a tactical error however when she told the FBR we were hitting the road as soon as she went to sleep. This led to some histrionics as the FBR started crying inconsolably. My daughter said the FBR does better when she has a chance to say goodbye and see us off. We hurried to get everything loaded and left a little earlier than I’d planned. I wanted to wait out the traffic approaching the Hudson but a crying child serves as true inspiration for movement. She was still crying as we pulled away. I get the impression she likes hanging out with us. While we did run into some typically slow traffic as we approached what used to be the Tappan Zee Bridge, Connecticut was uncharacteristically benevolent. We even found a new short cut, thanks to Waze, to get off the Merritt Parkway over to I-91 early which avoids the usual jam up at he end of the Merritt. We pulled into home a little after 11pm, tired but once again reveling in the rejuvenatory effect of spending time with people we love.

Wife's Mother's Day Gift Made it Home
Two movies fell in my A-Z watch, both keepers, The Descendants, Clooney as a bewildered, about to be widower, dealing with the family from hell, Hawaii stars as a supporting player, lots of nostalgia from our time living there and Desperado, oh my God, Salma, Salma, Salma.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; CRC - Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment