Sunday, November 20, 2022

Excitement Redeemed

There are times when you can get over exited for an upcoming event to the point the event is doomed to disappointment because nothing can live up to the expectations. That did not happen yesterday. The annual hometown birthday pub crawl was everything and more than I hoped for. My Favorite Son and a generous collection of high school classmates gathered to produce a very special crawl. It also turned out to definitely being the least expensive crawl ever. That was because my Favorite Panamanian did not accompany me to New Hampshire. She was back home, not feeling well, so she didn’t spend the entire afternoon shopping while the crawl was underway as she has in past years. I still missed her presence, especially late in the day where she usually extracts me from the last stop before the evils of demon alcohol manifest themselves.

The Crew Outside Penuche's
The Pittsburgh College Roommate (hereafter known as the PCR) along with his wife, PCR+1, drove in from Pittsburgh on Friday. They linked up with Keene Friend for a pre-crawl pizza Friday night. I awoke in Worcester on Saturday and was greeted by the day’s newspaper headline, “Best Day of the Year”, talk about portends. My Favorite Panamanian confirmed she wasn’t going to make the trip north with me and encouraged me to go. She knows how important this annual event is for me. I drove into Keene to find my Favorite Son had already arrived at Keene Friend’s house. Our first stop was going to be 5 Guys for what has become our traditional pre-crawl meal.  PCR and PCR+1 were supposed to join us but they had taken a side trip up to Newport and ran into a craft fair on the way back. Since PCR+1 is very crafty that meant a delay.

Keene Friend and PCR on the Pub Crawl Eve

Headline that Greeted Me
The crawl kicked off at Penuche’s Ale House with the Pittsburgh delegation still missing. My son, Keene Friend and I walked in at the appointed hour to find one of my high school classmates already in residence. She’s using a walker due to some serious leg and hip injuries but she was more than ready to participate and made the longest walk of the crawl with us. We grow them tough in New Hampshire. A representative group soon gathered, including Kindergarten Friend and the Cantankerous One. Cantankerous forgot his hearing aides so his decibel levels were prodigious. He swung home between stops to re-equip himself. PCR eventually walked having successfully extracted PCR+1 from the craft fair. We were also joined by another classmate who made the long drive down from Northern Maine with his wife.

Inside Penuche's


Son and I Out Front of Group on Walk to Main Street

Keene Friend Leading the Rest of the Group Including Courageous Classmate
We set off on our first and longest walk of the day with the trail up to the Lab ‘N Lager on Main Street. My son and I were out front and we turned around after a little bit and realized there was a huge gap as the rest of the crew was keeping pace with the aforementioned very game classmate. We paused in front of the crater where the Cobblestone stood to honor that departed Pub Crawl stop. Our normal front window table was occupied at the Lab so we displaced to the back room which offered the room to expand. Cantankerous Friend and another classmate were waiting for us when we walked in. I was taking the time to log in our location on Facebook as we went through the crawl and this assisted other participants to join in. Kindergarten Friend utilized his vast connections in the Keene pub scene to arrange photographers for the group shots at each bar.

Our Group Inside Lab 'N Lager

My Son and I

The Crawlers outside Lab 'N Lager
We made our way down Main Street for stop #3 and a first time stop for the crawl, Modestman Brewery. I had initially opposed this stop since it was a craft beer place with the attendant high prices. With the loss of Cobblestone and several other bars over the years, we needed another stop so I caved to the beer connoisseurs who had campaigned for its addition. Still more classmates showed up here. That was a cool feature of this year’s crawl as people came and went as their schedules allowed. One classmate showed up here whose actual birthday it was so we pelted her with a badly off-key version of Happy Birthday. One of the funniest moments happened here when Keene Friend showed me his beer. He solved the high prices by ordering a sample size. I wish I’d thought of that.

Arriving at Modestman

With PCR and PCR+1

Keene Friend with his Huge Beer

Inside Modestman

Keene Friend and my Son

Group Shot Outside Modestman
After fulfilling our craft beer requirements, we walked around the corner to always one of my favorite stops, the Kilkenny Pub, the designated dive bar of the crawl. We stayed here a little longer than usual which was fine with me after the craft beer exposure. Kilkenny’s featured a new generation of T-shirts which I acquired quickly. I wish the rest of the bars on the crawl realized what an easy mark I am for this type of attire and stock them. Our next stop was another new addition to the crawl - Local Burger. Kindergarten Friend recommended this as they serve beer as well as burgers, so WIN!! The ability to buy food as well as beer was welcome for those of us who had been on the crawl from the start. They even had a long table set up to receive us. The sun set while we were inside Local Burger.

Connecticut River Boat Captain, PCR, Keene Friend inside Kilkenny's

Group Shot Outside Kilkenny's

Inside Local Burger
Our next stop was tentatively across the street at Margarita’s but our local inside contact, Kindergarten Friend had to leave to take care of his wife who had undergone some surgery. Margarita’s isn’t the easiest to work with as some of the head waiters require reservations despite an abundance of large tables. Since it was late in the day now, we bypassed Margarita’s and walked directly to Central Square and the Pour House finale. While we had lost some people along the way still more joined us at the Pour House. This is another favorite stop on the crawl and the owner came over to greet us as after we established our presence at the front of the bar.

Logging in Our Arrival at Pour House

Cantankerous and Freind at Pour House

PCR Leading a Pour House Discussion

Son and I
This culminating stop was a lot of fun as it featured BFBs which stands for well, you figure it out as it includes a ribald description of the size of the beers. This is also where I felt the effect of the absence of my Favorite Panamanian. She usually is around to extract me before I have too many BFBs. That wasn’t the case and since I was having such a good time surrounded by just outstanding people the party carried on. My Favorite Son and I finally declared victory around 9pm (after 8 hours of the crawl) and set off for the long walk back to Keene Friend’s house. Because of the long day, that walk (for me) wasn’t exactly a straight line. We stopped in at Penuche’s on the way home because I had called for an afterparty there during the lead up. We confirmed that there weren’t any pub crawlers present due to our long stay at the Pour House.

Late Night Survivors at the Pour House

Son and I With Our BFBs
The Cantankerous One

My Classmates, Special People
We continued on to Keene Friend’s house where we were able to order probably the last pizza of the night to be delivered from local favorite, Athens Pizza. Keene Friend had also arranged a birthday cake and ice cream for me so the night ended with some serious caloric intake. So ended this latest, 10th year in a row, birthday pub crawl. Thank you to all the crawlers for coming out, especially those who made long drives to be there. I was so proud of my son who spent the day as the youngest (by several decades) of the crawlers. He was so social, introducing himself and talking with my classmates throughout the crawl. His presence is always the best thing about the crawl. I also want to thank Keene Friend for his customary overachievement as our host.

One movie fell in my A-Z effort, a definite keeper, Cinema Paradiso (may be nest Italian movie ever made, every movie lover must see, final scene rends the heartstrings along with one of best movie scores ever).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                      

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during him her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; PCR - Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; PCR+1 - Pittsburgh College Roommate’s wife; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment