Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Birthday Season

So many birthdays seem to fall this month, within the family and overall. Yesterday was my birthday and today both my now elder sister (Great Aunt) and my “beloved” sister-in-law (Tia Loca) have birthdays. This, of course, follows the truly epically celebrated birthday last week of the FBR. So, birthday season. Our plan for my birthday was, unsurprisingly, a steak dinner followed by a movie. See, totally predictable. Keene Friend reached out offering to take me out for a dinner and a movie (he does know me) so we invited him to come along. I felt really connected yesterday as so many friends and family members reached out to wish me a happy birthday. Great Aunt (more on her below) kept trying to call me during the movie (six different times). Later in the day my daughter roundly castigated me for not knowing how to silent notifications on my phone during a movie. A short tutorial followed. It was a quiet but very enjoyable birthday and thanks again for all of you who reached out. It was truly appreciated.

Birthday Dinner Yesterday
I Got a Cake Too!!!
I received a birthday shock yesterday as well. I actually received an unplanned tax refund from the People’s Republic of Taxxachusetts. I know. Shocking. The state legislature passed a bill back in the 80s that required the state to refund collected taxes if their surplus exceeded a certain amount. I’m sure there as a dedicated effort to bypass that requirement but a check showed up yesterday. Wow.  It wasn't huge but again, Wow! Also, for the first time I can ever recall, it snowed on my birthday. I spent a lot of years in the deep south and other tropical climes so it may have happened on November 15
th before, but this was a first for me. We received a couple inches overnight. I wasn’t looking for it but as I walked upstairs from the Man Cave last evening, I noticed everything outside was white. Weird to go from the 70s a couple days ago to this, but, New England.

Deckzilla Last Night


Great Aunt a Few Years Ago
BR3 Looks Just Like Her


A Few Christmases Ago in our Charlton Home
Today is a powerful birthday date as well. Both Great Aunt and Tia Loca have their date of births today. Great Aunt and I are Irish Twins for a day but now I can kid her for being so much older than I am. She counters with the fact that I’m the path to the same age within a year. She’s had an unimaginably tough year with the departure of Soxfather and I am once again truly struck by her internal strength and courage. I’m so proud of my big (elder) sister. I’m going to pay for all the agism references though. Tia Loca, on the other hand, has her own brother to contend with. They have a fiery relationship and the text bombs started flowing very early this morning. It’s fun to sit back and watch the carnage when those two go at it, good naturedly of course (I think). She claims to be in her thirties but that would make her nearly thirty-year-old son hard to explain.

The Always Elegant Tia Loca
The birthday movie was Black Panther, Wakanda Forever. I was excited to see this, as I am with most Marvel movies, and while I enjoyed it, overall I was left with a feeling of “ehhh”.  After the first Black Panther movie soared, I was probably expecting too much. The filmmakers do an excellent job of honoring the late Chadwick Boseman but their personal feelings of loss permeated the movie a little too much. The action was broken up by long periods of navel contemplation. I think they also erred by making Letitia Wright the lead which is understandable as she was fantastic as a supporting actress. She just didn’t have the chops to carry the movie and this was only too obvious when they finally bring Lupita Nyong'o back. She should have been the focus, she’s that good. So, I enjoyed the movie, who couldn’t when a de-humidifier is the ultimate weapon, but it was a two hour movie crammed into nearly three hours (it felt longer).

Three movies fell in my A-Z effort, all keepers, Born Free (out of order because of granddaughter invasion of movie shelves – still madly in love with Virginia McKenna), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (pure schmaltz, but lovely, especially Miss Scrumptious), and A Christmas Story (may be the best holiday movie of all time, captured an era)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment