Saturday, November 5, 2022

Elusive Footwear

I realize that I am relentless in criticizing my Favorite Panamanian’s penchant for shopping. While my recounting is never far from the truth, I don’t resent it as much as I am letting on (shhh, don’t tell her – she doesn’t need additional motivation). She was a perfect Army wife raising two brilliant kids while I was off traipsing around the world with well-armed friends. She’s earned whatever joy she elicits from the seek and purchase process. We’re leaving for Disneyworld next week and she has been on the search for a specific pair of walking sneakers. She actually found them a couple weeks ago but couldn’t decide to buy them (a rare moment of indecision in literally the only area of her life that she is usually decisive). She had been wheedling me for those two weeks to drive her back to the Natick Mall, about thirty miles away, where she first found them.

BR3 & BRS Enjoying Halloween Spoils Last Evening
Yesterday I finally relented, feeling the need to augment my “good husband” point totals in advance of the pub crawl. We made our way to the mall and found the shoes only to discover they were out of her size but could have a pair delivered there by Sunday (no good). She was disconsolate while I tried to cheer her up. I even bought her a six pack of macaroons which might have turned the morale corner. I encouraged her to look in Macey’s as we were leaving and left her there while I went in search of a chocolate chip cookie. It was my cheat day and while I choose to avoid malls at all costs, I seemed to remember they were a fairly staple source for that beloved cookie. After passing through the entire mall I came up empty, what’s up with that? Even the milk shake emporium only sold nutrient rich Nutella versions which I couldn’t stomach. America is getting too healthy (did I just say that).

FBR 1st Grade School Photo
When She Still had Two Front Teeth
I returned to find my wife modeling a pair of shoes which she claimed met her minimum requirements but that she was still pining for the ones she originally sought. During the Friday Family Facetime call, my very helpful daughter told her we could order the desired shoes from a mall near their house and then pick them up tomorrow when we arrive in New Jersey. I did that this morning, earning more husband points, only to have that hope (and the points) smashed when I received a message saying they were out of stock. So it goes. This will be my last post for at least a week as I’m not taking the computer with me to Disneyworld. That will be time to focus on the delightful company I’ll be keeping and there’s also Disneyworld. This afternoon I’m heading up to Keene on a mini-thunder run to complete the final recon of the pub crawl route. I know, sacrifices must be made. Hopefully Keene Friend and other denizens of my hometown will help in the effort. While I’m accomplishing this important task my Favorite Panamanian will be, you guessed it, shopping.

Four movies fell in my A-Z effort, all keepers, Centurion(bloody retelling of the mythical disappearance of the 9th Legion in Scotland), Chain Reaction (Keanu as a brilliant scientist, okay??, great action), The Change up (hated by critics but I loved it because of the non-stop one liners from two experts), and Chappie (sentient robot story with Hugh Jackman as a bad guy)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                     

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Connecticut Riverboat Captain – another close friend from high school, renowned sailor of the big river; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd Musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment