Sunday, May 15, 2022

It Begins

Yesterday was spent out on Deckzilla and the surrounding environs as my Favorite Panamanian dragooned me into garden work (actually I volunteered but don’t tell anyone). Most of the effort was planting her purchases from the mid-week thunder run up to Keene. She made quite a haul and since yesterday was one of the best days of 2022 so far, we were outside. However the big news rests with the granddaughters.

Birthday Girl Representing Yesterday
Yesterday was BR3’s second birthday and my Favorite Son and the ABFA celebrated with just the themselves, saving the big party for a couple weeks down the road. The second birthday is probably the last they’ll be able to get away with for that. It looks like they had a fabulous time with the BRS and the birthday girl with some beach time. They participated in the family Frist Friday call and every time we tried to congratulate BR3 she would take off on a dead run followed by her dad. The same thing happened yesterday morning when we called to sing happy birthday to her. That was more understandable for anyone who’s heard my singing voice.

Birthday Beach Time

Birthday Breakfast with her Siblings

Delving into Things Electronic
The FBR and her familial unit are also adventuring. Following up on last year’s very successful weekend trip to a cabin with her friends and their parents, Friday night my daughter, Wingman and the FBR journeyed to the Catskills for another cabin and the FBR was in the pool within minutes of arrival. It’s so cool that she has these friends living on the same street in Maplewood and the parents all get along really well together. It looks like they’re having a special time. We were especially touched with the photo of all the kids at bedtime with the FBR doing the honor of reading the bedtime story. Time is certainly flying.

FBR Poolside Upon Arrival

With her Mom Shortly thereafter

Greeted by a Rainbow

FBR Reading Bedtime Story

FBR Looking like a Teenager Floating in Pool
As stated above, entirely less exciting back on the home front. My Favorite Panamanian has definite opinions on my suitability for any task requiring a light touch. I was therefore assigned to removing the roots from all the flower pots from last year’s flower display. For those of you who think that was a small task, you do not know my wife and her love of flowers. We can never have too many. This was fairly dirty work as I had to burrow down to the bottom of the pots to extricate the old roots and you had to know there would be an inspection and critique at the end of the effort. We came inside for lunch and my wife was on the phone with Tia Loca when I walked by and they both burst into laughter. My dirt work had left a definite residue covering my face and they nicknamed me “Pigpen” on the spot. There are worse names for an out to pasture infantryman.

Wife's Thunder Run Haul

The Master at Work
Being so dirty did bring back some Army memories in the shower though. There’s just something special when you’re exceptionally dirty, as I was yesterday. That was the normal state of affairs during my years in the infantry when we’d come in from the field having lived in the woods for weeks on end with no showers and liberal applications of bug spray and face camouflage. My Favorite Panamanian would occasionally require me to wait out in the driveway to hose me down before she’d let me enter the house. That didn’t happen yesterday but that was a special shower.

My Apparently Hysterically Funny Dirty Face
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment