Thursday, May 12, 2022

Control Reestablished

I know there are legions of you out there genuinely concerned about my plight on a couple levels. Paramount among those worries had to be the loss through criminal level negligence of my Superstream remote when my Favorite Panamanian left it down in Panama. The second source of consternation was my situation finding myself branded, in a truly wifely tactic, as the bad guy in the situation. I’m here to report that not only have I survived my spouse’s enmity but I am thriving. Not that it didn’t take a little broken field running on my part, that is. There is today’s planned shopping trip/thunder run up to my hometown as part of recovery operations.

First, after a brief consultation with a member of my IT department (Wingman), I confirmed that I could buy a replacement remote online (who knew!). My old, best friend, Amazon.com came to the rescue and a day later, for less than $7, I had a new remote that works with the Superstream box. It doesn’t have all the features of the original but it will certainly tide me over until we can effect re-deployment of that critically missing piece of my IT infrastructure. My Favorite Panamanian took the news of the replacement with a tightly controlled bit of equanimity, knowing she had completely turned the tables on me anyways, so no need to gloat.

The Remote Lineup
This means I now have five separate remotes for my Man Cave entertainment system: sound system, TV, Blu-ray player, cable box, and the Superstream. I feel almost like I’m entering a sci fi pilot seat when I start to crank them all up and then there’s the problem of insuring they all stay within reach (acid test being a visit from granddaughters). Problems. Problems. I was sneakily proud of myself yesterday after receiving the remote that I successfully connected the Superstream to the TV through the sound system without having to consult my IT team. Small victories.

The Man Cave Entertainment Hardware
In order to stay in the good graces of Great Aunt I’m reporting back on the latest series of biopsies the dermatologists excavated last week. While both were positive, one biopsy removed all the cancer while the other one extended beyond the edge. That means a few weeks of chemotherapy cream once the biopsy site heals. Sunny times from my youth, the gift that keeps on giving. The good news – another Mohs surgery avoided. That is a certifiable win.

Date night this week meant a return to the movies with my live in partner. We saw Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. This will go down as another Marvel win with the engaging cast taking the story in a number of different ways. There was a definite different tone with Sam Raimi at the helm which also meant the obligatory (and welcome) Bruce Campbell cameo. Dr Strange is called upon the save not only ours but a multitude of other dimensions as well. It was kind of weird that a newly introduced Latina character had a superpower of being able to cross borders but that’s for right wing to pick up and run with. She was very good as was the Scarlet Witch, Elizabeth Olsen. This could have been labeled as her movie every bit as much as the doctor’s as she takes her character in a wild new direction. Following up on the crossover-a-palooza of the last Spiderman movie, there are almost too many crossover characters from other movies to count; but that’s what you get when you open up the multiverse. A great summer movie ride that I thoroughly enjoyed.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment