Friday, October 15, 2021

Peeping Time

If it’s the second week of October my Favorite Panamanian and I should be wandering the mountains of western Massachusetts, Southern Vermont and New Hampshire in search of the vibrant colors a New England autumn bestows upon us. In a sign we are starting, to maybe, almost get back to post-pandemic normalcy, we made our annual pilgrimage yesterday to see the leaves. We were accompanied by my mother-in-law for the excursion as well. Most of the story will be told through the accompanying photos as it was another spectacular fall day to take in nature’s beauty.

Post-Peeping Dinner with Keene Friend

Maine Musquetera Wednesday Departure
We weren’t able to make our annual trek last year, because, well, it was 2020 and we all know what a dumpster fire that was. It was great to get back to this family tradition that started as a lark over a decade ago when I got Columbus Day off from work. Unencumbered by a normal work week we delayed until yesterday because of the window installation project. I took a different tack this year. Instead of heading north and then south through Vermont I drove northwest cutting diagonally across the state until hooking up with Route 2 just short of Greenfield.






We then followed 2 all the way to the hairpin turn where the Golden Eagle restaurant is located. This place has become part of the leaf peeping tradition as well. You’ll notice how quickly we got to lunch. We were supposed to leave right after a 9am meeting I had to Zoom into. I emerged from the meeting expecting my better half to be straining at the bit to leave. Two hours later we finally managed to hit the road. It’s a Panamanian thing. When there are no hard times assigned then departure delays are inevitable.

Golden Eagle

Our Table





After a great lunch enhanced by the three-state view from our seats we zigged north into Vermont which is where the colors really took off. You can always count on Vermont to rise to the occasion. I learned this from my mother, a native Vermonter, who always crowed about the distinct beauty of her home state whenever we drove in. I guess I do the same thing now with my own kids but correctly assign the praise to New Hampshire. The only thing Vermont seemed to have more of than picturesque lookout points were road construction crews. We stopped no less than five times to await clearance to move forward through one lane roads.









We stopped by the venerable Hogback Mountain overlook where I again paid respects to mom because the beauty is undeniable. I could even see Mount Monadnock in the distance. The ladies descended on the gift store while I stayed true to my diet for the sole reason that the shop didn’t have its usual supply of chocolate and or orange cream fudge. I would have been helpless if either had been present.

At Hogback

Monadnock in the Distance










We then snuck across the Connecticut River and arrived in Keene in time to roust Keene Friend from his isolation. Since it was too early for dinner, he and I stopped by Penuche’s Ale House for a beer while the ladies went, well, you know, shopping. We all linked up at Margarita’s for a fun dinner. Fun for me because I wasn’t the one getting grilled by my Favorite Panamanian for the latest news. Keene Friend handled the interrogation with his usual good grace. A great topper for a fun day which saw the return of yet another missed tradition.

Keene Friend and I at Penuche's
Best Part of the Trip
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment