Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Generational IT, Gravy Train & the Crawl

One of the cutest things I’ve seen in a long time is my Favorite Panamanian trying to teach her mother how to operate an iPad. We bought my mother-in-law the iPad a couple weeks ago and after I connected it to the internet and did the basic setup, I told my wife it was on her to take it further. Both of my “kids” are laughing right now because they know how technologically challenged I am. At the same time I am head and shoulders above my Favorite Panamanian, so having her as an IT instructor is grounds for high comedy. It’s lucky their interests coincide as they search out the latest Catholic masses in Spanish as well as the latest Turkish soap opera dubbed into Spanish. It’s kind of a thing right now in telenovelas. I can’t believe I know that.

Soxfather recently opined that everything the Red Sox accomplished this post season after knocking off the hated Yankees was gravy. That comes from low expectations based on an erratic regular season. The last two games the Sox have looked like an offensive juggernaut hitting as many grand slams in those two games as they hit all year long. They now lead the heavily favored Astros and the next two games are at Fenway where the crowd has taken it to another level. Wingman had the game on in the driveway along with his usual Monday Night Football crew. I’m sure the neighbors (Yankee fans I’m sure) were stewing a bit as the Red Sox homers kept clearing the green monster.


Wingman's Setup
I finally got a date for the FBR’s birthday celebration, so yesterday I was able to finally put out the warning order for this year’s birthday pub crawl back in my hometown. I had to wait because the FBR had the temerity to schedule her birth a mere four days before my birthday which resulted in the necessary coordination. The crawl is an event I look forward to all year long (hence all the requisite practice ahead of time) and had to scale way, way back last year (thank you 2020). I love the cool mix of high school classmates and friends that assemble to wander the streets of Keene together. Judging from some of the responses I’ve been getting I think a lot of people missed it.

Crawl from a Couple Years Ago
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment