Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Solitary Time

I spent the night alone at the house last night.  The wife, her mother, and friend were up in Maine and the son was up in Portsmouth finding an apartment.  He was successful and is very excited about that.  It was just me and my black lab, Buddy, hanging out last night -he's great company.  We saw the sox continue to implode - this team seems to have virtually no backbone, especially the pitching corps.  I also watched a couple more episodes of 30 for 30, the ESPN series of movies.  My daughter and son in law gave them to me for Father's Day and I have been steadily watching  and truly enjoying each of them.  While the quality of the film making varies significantly, all of the stores are compelling and a comment of how much sports consumes popular culture in the US.  This is something I've wondered about - I used to be a huge sports fanatic.  That fanaticism seems to be fading as I get older. I don't know if its because most athletes have become contemptible personalities or that they've always been that way and in today's information age we just get to know them better.  I want to get away from sports more and I don't think I would ever hear myself say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment