Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Big Drive and Poor Drive

My wife has an absolute phobia for driving outside her immediate comfort zone, which encompasses areas close to home that she is familiar with.  Yesterday she took on her fear and drove all the way to northern Maine to visit a friend for a few days.  I am very proud of her because she really was deathly afraid of this type drive without me.  Taking on your fears, even if you achieve only a bare modicum of success, is required in a well lived life. 

If you read this blog at all, you will realize that I am an absolute movie nut - have been since my earliest memories.  I will review the movies I see and at some point start talking about my movie collection.  Last night I went to see "Drive", which was really well reviewed and had a superb cast.  I was really disappointed by the end.  It was a great story and the supporting cast was awesome, if underused.  Bryan Cranston, Miss Mulligan, and Ron Perlman were great and believable.  Albert Brooks as a dangerous criminal was a huge stretch and I don't think he carried it off.  I really like Ryan Gosling as an actor but this was a clear miss for him.  I guess the director though Gosling was such a good actor that long stretches of dead pan looks would give Gosling a chance to emote and project what he was feeling.  For me it resulted in uncomfortable, frustrating pauses with the camera glued to Gosling's face and left me wondering if the character was supposed to be mildly retarded.  The sound track was initially interesting but supremely annoying by the end.  I've found getting hopes up too high for movies leads to disappointment more often than not.  Experienced that again last night with "Drive", I cannot recommend this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment